Physics Photo Contest: Refraction of Light

In summary, the light comes from the sun, reflects off the orange tree, enters the droplet (air/water interface 1) and refracts. The light travels through the droplet and reaches the other side of the droplet (air/water interface number 2) and refracts again. Refraction happens when light passes through the interface of two mediums. The photo is really very nice!
seasaltsara4
Hello! so this is for a physics photo contest. i have to do a little write up and i'd really like for my information to be accurate.

http://i165.photobucket.com/albums/u43/ninjanamine/115-5.jpg?t=1304830133

the physics part is the orange tree in the water droplet (refraction of light)... but I'm sort of confused as to whether light is traveling from air to water or if its traveling from water to air. i asked my teacher and he said both and that there are two refractions, but sometimes his information is a little... off. i guess i just want to get this confirmed.

if someone could please help me, that would reallly be appreciated!

Physics news on Phys.org
The light comes from the sun, reflects off the orange tree, enters the droplet (air/water interface 1) and refracts. The light travels through the droplet and reaches the other side of the droplet (air/water interface number 2) and refracts again.

Refraction happens when light passes through the interface of two mediums.

The photo is really very nice! That water droplet acts as a thick lens, the rays coming from a remote orange tree are refracted twice as frozenquy explained, and produce a picture of the tree where they intersect. You see the picture in the droplet.

ehild

Attachments

• waterdrop.JPG
    waterdrop.JPG
    12.8 KB · Views: 424
ahhh thank you guys so much! :)

Would this be an okay explanation? I just don't want to say anything wrong :P

The orange in this photo is covered with water drops. Upon closer inspection, we can see that the water drops on the edge of the orange shows a bent image of the tree from which it is growing on. This phenomena is an example of refraction. In refraction, a wave front is bent as it passes through two different mediums that require a change in velocity. In this case, the wave front is light. Light is being bent as it changes from two mediums-air and water. Because the speed of light in water is less than the speed of light in air, the ray is bent away from the normal, as shown through the tree’s distorted shape. Another refraction is taking place in a similar occurrence; however, instead of light traveling from water to air, light travels from air to water. In both refractions, the measure of light’s speed can be described in terms of refractive indices. Water has a greater refractive index than air and thus slows the speed that the light travels in it. The angle of refraction changes according to the refractive index of the two mediums. Consequently, a light ray that passes from water to air is refracted away from the normal and from air to water, towards the normal. Snell’s law mathematically portrays this. In addition to refraction, the shape of the water droplet bends the shape of the tree in that it determines where the normal will be on the surface of the droplet.

It is almost all right. Do not stress that "bent image". Refraction itself does not cause distortion of the image. If you look through a thin lens like a magnifying glass the image is not bent. The distortion is caused by the shape of the droplet: it is not a thin lens. It is thick and irregular in shape. You get similar distorted image in a curved mirror.
So you get a small picture of the tree, similar the one produced by a magnifying glass of a remote object, but this picture is distorted. All the other things you wrote about refraction is about all right. Remove the blue text and use the red text instead.

"The orange in this photo is covered with water drops. Upon closer inspection, we can see that the water drops on the edge of the orange shows a bent minimised image of the tree from which it is growing on." ...

" Because the speed of light in water is less than the speed of light in air, the ray is bent away to the normal, as shown through the tree’s distorted shape. "

ehild

Hmmmm okay. Thanks sooooo much! :) Seriously, you've made my life so nice

What is "Physics Photo Contest: Refraction of Light"?

"Physics Photo Contest: Refraction of Light" is a competition that challenges participants to capture photographs that showcase the phenomenon of refraction of light. This is when light waves change direction as they pass through a medium, such as water or glass.

How does refraction of light work?

Refraction of light occurs because light waves travel at different speeds in different materials. When a light wave enters a new medium, it changes speed and this causes it to bend or change direction.

What are some examples of refraction of light in everyday life?

Some common examples of refraction of light include the bending of light as it passes through a prism, the appearance of a bent straw in a glass of water, and the formation of rainbows in the sky.

Can I participate in the "Physics Photo Contest: Refraction of Light" if I am not a scientist?

Yes, the competition is open to everyone regardless of their background or level of scientific knowledge. All you need is a camera and an eye for capturing interesting and creative photos.

What are the judging criteria for the "Physics Photo Contest: Refraction of Light"?

The judging criteria for the competition may vary, but generally, photos will be evaluated based on their creativity, technical skill, and ability to showcase the concept of refraction of light.