Solving Refraction Optics Puzzle for Color Project

In summary, the project involves looking through a window to see a specific color, but there are different colors on each side and the angle at which you look through the window affects the color seen. The goal is for the same color to be seen from most angles. The optics do not need to be high quality and the designer is seeking advice on what types of lens/prisms to use. The design requires the use of optics at the top and cannot be achieved with lightguides or mirrors from the bottom. The suggestion of using a concave divergent lens is proposed.
NZBen
I'm building a project that requires to look through a window and see a specific color, however there are different colors either side, and depending on what angle you look through the little window with depends on which color you see. I would like it so that looking from most angles would, in effect be the same as looking on axis to it. It only has to work in one plane not two so only has to be contoured in one direction.

The optics don't have to be great as it's only viewing colors, but just wondering what types of lens/prisims I should look at to accomplish this. If anyone can shed some light I'd be really appreciative, I've been spending huge amounts of time shaping my own lenses out of acrylic and then finding they don't work. I don't have a good grasp on light and imaging so thought I'd put it out there to the experts.

The design of it means that it has to be done with optics at the top and can't be done with lightguides from the bottom, mirrors etc.

Many thanks

Science news on Phys.org
Will a concave divergent lens work?

Hi there,

It sounds like you are trying to create a project that involves refraction optics and color. This can be a complex and challenging task, but there are a few things you can consider to help you solve your puzzle.

First, it's important to understand the principles of refraction and how it affects the way we see colors. Refraction is the bending of light as it passes through different materials, such as glass or water. This bending can cause the light to split into different colors, which is why we see rainbows when light passes through water droplets.

To create your desired effect of seeing a specific color from different angles, you will need to use a combination of lenses and prisms. Lenses are used to focus light, while prisms are used to split light into its component colors. By carefully arranging these optical elements, you can control the path of light and create the desired color effect.

When selecting lenses and prisms, you will need to consider their shape, material, and refractive index. The shape of the lens or prism will determine how light is bent, while the material and refractive index will affect the amount of bending and the colors produced. Acrylic lenses may not be the best choice for this project, as they have a lower refractive index and may not produce the desired effect.

It's also important to note that the positioning and alignment of the optical elements will be crucial in achieving your desired result. Even small variations can greatly affect the color and clarity of the image.

If you are not familiar with the principles of light and optics, it may be helpful to consult with an expert or do some additional research to gain a better understanding of the concepts involved. There are also many resources and tutorials available online that can guide you through the process.

In summary, to create a project that involves seeing a specific color from different angles, you will need to carefully select and arrange lenses and prisms, taking into account their shape, material, and refractive index. Proper positioning and alignment will also be crucial in achieving your desired result. I hope this helps and good luck with your project!

1. What is a refraction optics puzzle?

A refraction optics puzzle is a type of puzzle that involves light and its behavior as it passes through different materials. In these puzzles, the objective is to manipulate and redirect light in order to reveal a hidden image or pattern.

2. How does refraction work in optics puzzles?

Refraction is the bending of light as it passes through different mediums, such as air, water, or glass. In optics puzzles, different materials with varying refractive indices are used to manipulate the direction of light and create optical illusions.

3. What are some common materials used in refraction optics puzzles?

Some common materials used in refraction optics puzzles include glass prisms, lenses, and water. These materials have different refractive indices and can be used to manipulate the direction and intensity of light.

4. What skills are needed to solve a refraction optics puzzle?

Solving a refraction optics puzzle requires a basic understanding of how light behaves and the ability to think critically and spatially. It also helps to have good problem-solving skills and patience.

5. Are there any real-world applications for understanding refraction through optics puzzles?

Yes, understanding refraction through optics puzzles can have real-world applications in fields such as optics, photography, and even architecture. The principles learned from solving these puzzles can also be applied to practical situations, such as designing lenses or creating optical illusions.