1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Refraction problem on on light

1. Sep 3, 2014 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

A person looking into an empty container is able to see the far edge of the container's bottom. The height of the container is h, and its width is d. When the container is completely filled with a fluid of index of refraction n and viewed from the same angle, the person can see the center o f a coin at the middle of the container’s bottom,

Show that h/d= sqrt((n^2-1)/(4- n^2))

2. Relevant equations

I'm not sure but i think this has something to do with n1sinθ1=n2sinθ2 and pythogoras theorum

3. The attempt at a solution

I'm totally lost on how to start this question please give me a hint on how to start answering this

2. jcsd
  3. Sep 3, 2014 #2

Ray Vickson

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

How to start: step 1 is to draw yourself a little diagram, showing the before-and-after situations. Then you will be in a much better position to start writing down the appropriate equations, etc. I an absolutely, 100% serious---that is how I would start.

4. Sep 3, 2014 #3
    actually the text book that i took the question has a diagram.
    But i just don't know how to link snell's law and pythogoras theorum

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted