Refraction Problem: Find Angles with Triangles

• Thread starter khoais
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Refraction
In summary: My apologies. I relied on the Hyperphysics link that shows the angle with the surface rather than with the normal.
khoais

Homework Statement

http://img98.imageshack.us/img98/371/physicsproblemrh8.jpg

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

Basically, I tried to use triangles to find the angles. But I don't know how as it seems I'm only given one side of the triangles.

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
khoais said:

Homework Statement

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

Basically, I tried to use triangles to find the angles. But I don't know how as it seems I'm only given one side of the triangles.

I think they want you to consider the effect of Snell's Law here.

[tex] \frac{n_1}{n_2} = \frac {Sin \theta_1}{Sin \theta_2} [/tex]

LowlyPion said:
I think they want you to consider the effect of Snell's Law here.

[tex] \frac{n_1}{n_2} = \frac {Sin \theta_1}{Sin \theta_2} [/tex]

You mean
[tex] \frac{n_1}{n_2} = \frac {Sin \theta_2}{Sin \theta_1} [/tex]

So let's say n1 = n2 when the glass is empty because the angle of incident is equal to the angle of refraction. When the glass is full, n2 = 1.22 and everything else is unknown. So how would I go about finding just theta r, which is theta_1 in this case?

khoais said:
You mean
[tex] \frac{n_1}{n_2} = \frac {Sin \theta_2}{Sin \theta_1} [/tex]

So let's say n1 = n2 when the glass is empty because the angle of incident is equal to the angle of refraction. When the glass is full, n2 = 1.22 and everything else is unknown. So how would I go about finding just theta r, which is theta_1 in this case?

Yes. Sorry for the hurried typo.

With respect to the problem you know the angle of sight over the top is h/(h2 + d2)1/2

And the angle it makes in the liquid is h/(h2 + d2/4)1/2

And you know they are related by the 1.22 then don't you?

You know D so solve for h. Having h in hand then you can figure the angle directly.

Last edited:
LowlyPion said:
Yes. Sorry for the hurried typo.

With respect to the problem you know the angle of sight over the top is h/(h2 + d2)1/2

And the angle it makes in the liquid is h/(h2 + d2/4)1/2

And you know they are related by the 1.22 then don't you?

You know D so solve for h. Having h in hand then you can figure the angle directly.

Thanks a lot lowlypion.

I had a little trouble figuring out why your values didn't work, but in the end I found that the values were actually:

d/(d2 + h2)1/2 for the top angle

and

(d/2)/(d2/4 + h2)1/2 for the liquid angle.

All in all though, you greatly helped me. Thank you so much!

khoais said:
Thanks a lot lowlypion.

I had a little trouble figuring out why your values didn't work, but in the end I found that the values were actually:

d/(d2 + h2)1/2 for the top angle

and

(d/2)/(d2/4 + h2)1/2 for the liquid angle.

All in all though, you greatly helped me. Thank you so much!

My apologies. I relied on the Hyperphysics link that shows the angle with the surface rather than with the normal.

http://hyperphysics.phy-astr.gsu.edu/hbase/geoopt/refr.html#c3

snell2.gif

1. What is refraction and how does it relate to finding angles with triangles?

Refraction is the change in direction of a wave as it passes through different mediums. In the context of finding angles with triangles, it refers to the bending of light as it passes through different materials, such as air and water. This bending of light can affect the angles formed by triangles, making it an important factor to consider in solving refraction problems.

2. How do you determine the angles in a triangle when refraction is involved?

In order to determine the angles in a triangle when refraction is involved, you will need to use the laws of refraction, also known as Snell's Law. This law states that the ratio of the sine of the angle of incidence to the sine of the angle of refraction is equal to the ratio of the velocities of light in the two mediums. By rearranging this equation, you can solve for the angles in the triangle.

3. What are some common types of refraction problems involving triangles?

Some common types of refraction problems involving triangles include finding the angles of incidence and refraction when light passes through a single medium, finding the angles of refraction when light enters and exits different mediums, and finding the refractive index of a medium when given the angles of incidence and refraction.

4. Can refraction problems involving triangles be solved using the Pythagorean theorem?

While the Pythagorean theorem can be used to solve certain types of refraction problems involving triangles, it is not a universal solution. In some cases, the law of refraction must be used instead. It is important to carefully read and understand the problem before deciding which method to use.

5. How can I check my solution for a refraction problem involving triangles?

One way to check your solution for a refraction problem involving triangles is to use the law of reflection. This law states that the angle of incidence is equal to the angle of reflection. If your solution satisfies this law, then it is likely correct. You can also use online calculators or ask a colleague to review your work for confirmation.