1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Refraction Question

1. Oct 24, 2009 #1
    Hey,
    this is just an exercise in my text book. I think I have the solution, but I would just like for someone to verify my answer.

A coin rests on the bottom of a tank of water 1m deep, with a 20cm layer of benzene on top of the water. n for water is 1.33, for benzene it is 1.5. Find the apparent depth of the coin views from normal incidence in air above the benzene.

What I did was I split it up - I assumed an observer in the benzene, and proved that the ratio of apparent depth to real depth was:

[tex]\frac{d'}{d} = \frac{n_b}{n_w}=>d' = 1.128m[/tex] for an observer in benzene at the b-w interface looking down through water.

Then I treated the problem as though the whole tank was benzene and the object was at a depth 0f 0.2 + 1.128m. The analysis was the same, with the result of d'' = 0.885m.

Can someone verify these numbers for me?

2. jcsd
  3. Oct 24, 2009 #2

Doc Al

Staff: Mentor

Your method and answer look good to me.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook