Refractive Eye Surgery: Physics or Electrical Engineering?

• Thread starter TheZebra
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Eye
In summary, the conversation revolved around a freshman physics and computer science student's interest in refractive eye surgery and the best academic path to pursue it. They discussed different majors and departments such as electrical engineering, physics, biomedical engineering, and biomedical optics. The importance of finding a program that aligns with their research interests was emphasized, as well as gaining experience in the field during graduate studies. The conversation ended with a suggestion to contact professors for guidance on undergraduate studies.
TheZebra
Hello everyone,

I am a freshman physics and computer science student thinking about what I want to do after I graduate. I have always been obsessed with the eye and its functions. I would like to get into refractive eye surgery machine building/research, specifically focusing on the laser in areas such as LASIK, PRK and Lightwave surgery.

I was wondering if an electrical engineering major or a physics major would be more beneficial. I currently am planning on going to graduate school for a PhD but I am wondering what field this would fall under: biomedical engineering, electrical engineering, biomedical optics or maybe even a biology degree?
Here are some references for what lightwave vision is (it is my main interest). Also here is http://www.optics.arizona.edu/research/faculty/profile/jim-schwiegerling, he is an optical engineer at the University of Arizona, and currently leading the field in lightwave research. Here is something more scholarly on lightwave vision surgery.

Physics news on Phys.org
Why not send Dr. Schwiegerling an email asking him what he thinks is best way to go about it? I'm not sure anyone here would be able to accurately answer your question.

Anyway, it sounds interesting. I've had corneal topography done a few times on my eye after an injury. It's pretty amazing what they do.

TheZebra said:
I was wondering if an electrical engineering major or a physics major would be more beneficial. I currently am planning on going to graduate school for a PhD but I am wondering what field this would fall under: biomedical engineering, electrical engineering, biomedical optics or maybe even a biology degree?

I think it's more important to find a program that does the kind of research you want to do. I wouldn't be surprised if it could occur in anyone of those departments. In other words, you'll have a lot better chance securing a job in the field if you acquire experience in the field during your Ph.D. work, regardless of department, particularly if you advisor knows other people in the industry.

In my field (fusion and plasma physics), people get Ph.Ds in Astrophysics, Physics, Applied Physics, Nuclear Engineering, and a few others. We all do very similar types of work despite the different departments. And if you had one of the above degrees but did research at a non-fusion related program, e.g. Astrophysics studying galaxy evolution or Nuc. Eng. studying fire propagation in power plants, you'd have a pretty difficult time getting time getting a postdoc in fusion related stuff. The department matters far less than the research you do.

So find people at universities doing that research and make note of those programs. Contact them and find out what is the best undergrad preparation to get into said graduate programs.

Thanks for the responses everyone. kinkmode the comparison you made to your field was very helpful. I will start emailing professors and finding out what I should be studying as an undergraduate.

I would say that both physics and electrical engineering play important roles in the field of refractive eye surgery. Physics is the fundamental science behind the principles of light and optics, which are crucial in understanding how the eye works and how laser technology can be used to correct vision. On the other hand, electrical engineering is essential in designing and building the complex laser systems and equipment used in refractive eye surgery.

In terms of which major would be more beneficial, it really depends on your specific interests and career goals. If you are more interested in the physics and optics behind the surgery, then a physics degree may be more suitable. However, if you are interested in the engineering and technical aspects of designing and building the equipment, then an electrical engineering degree may be a better fit.

Additionally, there are other fields that could be relevant to refractive eye surgery, such as biomedical engineering, biomedical optics, and biology. These disciplines may also offer valuable insights and skills for your desired career path.

Ultimately, it may be beneficial to explore courses and research opportunities in both physics and electrical engineering to gain a well-rounded understanding of the field and determine which path aligns best with your interests and goals. Good luck with your graduate studies and pursuit of a career in refractive eye surgery!

1. What is the difference between physics and electrical engineering in relation to refractive eye surgery?

Physics and electrical engineering are both important fields in refractive eye surgery. Physics is the branch of science that deals with the properties and behavior of matter and energy, while electrical engineering focuses on the design and application of electrical systems. In refractive eye surgery, physics is used to understand the principles of light and how it interacts with the eye, while electrical engineering is used to design and develop the technology and equipment used in the surgery.

2. How does physics play a role in refractive eye surgery?

Physics plays a crucial role in refractive eye surgery as it helps in understanding the fundamental principles of light and its interaction with the eye. The surgery involves reshaping the cornea of the eye to correct vision problems, and this is achieved by using lasers which are based on the principles of physics. Additionally, physics is used to calculate the required amount of correction needed for each individual's eye.

3. What are some common physics concepts used in refractive eye surgery?

Some common physics concepts used in refractive eye surgery include the properties of light, such as refraction and reflection, as well as the principles of optics and electromagnetism. Other important concepts include the measurement of wavefront aberrations and the use of lasers to reshape the cornea.

4. How does electrical engineering contribute to refractive eye surgery?

Electrical engineering plays a crucial role in refractive eye surgery through the design and development of the technology and equipment used in the surgery. This includes the development of advanced laser systems and imaging technology, such as wavefront technology, which allows for more precise and accurate measurements and corrections. Electrical engineers also work on the control systems and software used to operate the equipment during the surgery.

5. Are there any potential risks associated with the use of physics and electrical engineering in refractive eye surgery?

As with any surgical procedure, there are potential risks associated with refractive eye surgery. However, the use of physics and electrical engineering in the surgery has greatly improved its safety and success rates. The equipment used in the surgery is rigorously tested and calibrated to ensure accuracy and minimize risks. It is important for patients to discuss any potential risks with their ophthalmologist before undergoing the surgery.