Refractive index of gold? (& negative refractive index, + surface plasmon resonance?)

1. I'm trying understand surface plasmon resonance in a gold film, and have decided that gold must have a refractive index of say 5-10ish in optical light. However I'm not sure and I think I might be on the wrong track.

Also does negative refractive index have anything to do with surface plasmon resonance.

Sorry got myself in a mess.

2. jcsd
  3. alxm

alxm 1,864
    Science Advisor

Re: Refractive index of gold? (& negative refractive index, + surface plasmon resonan

Looking in the CRC handbook, it seems it's more like 1.5-3 across the visible spectrum.

I don't know enough about SPR to answer that. I always assumed it was a nonlinear-optical-effect thing?

4. Re: Refractive index of gold? (& negative refractive index, + surface plasmon resonan

I know something about ssp, and negative refractive index has all about plasmons resonance... SPP is a normal mode of a metal-dielectric interface whom is accomplished by a negative refractive index.

SPP is a solution of a MAXWELL's equation.. check boundary condition and normal modes definition (JACKSON chapter 7 and any book of mathematics)..

Good luck

5. Re: Refractive index of gold? (& negative refractive index, + surface plasmon resonan

For an excellent explanation of surface plasmon polaritons, I refer you to "Plasmonics: Fundamentals and Applications" by Stefan Maier. I found the book really helpful.

Especially Chap 1 and 2. Goes through basics and what plasmons are about.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thead via email, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?