Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Refractive Index Problem

  1. Feb 20, 2009 #1
    I am currently undergoing advanced higher physics and my investigation is on measuring refractive index.
    I have conducted 3 experiments so far: the standard ray lamp experiment from higher and two different versions of the apparent depth method.
    However, these experiments have been simple and I was looking for any advice for another experiment.
    Thank you
  2. jcsd
  3. Feb 20, 2009 #2

    Tom Mattson

    User Avatar
    Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

    Which is the standard one? Is that where you measure the angle of incidence and the angle of refraction?

    Here's another one from HyperPhysics (great site!).


    From that page, "A refracting prism is a convenient geometry to illustrate dispersion and the use of the angle of minimum deviation provides a good way to measure the index of refraction of a material." So if you can get your hands on a prism then you might be in business.
  4. Feb 21, 2009 #3
    You may also wish to try lenses.There are several ways to measure the focal length of a lens and by measuring the radius of curvature of the lens faces and then using the lens formula...........1/f=(n-1)(1/r1+1/r2) you can calculate n.
  5. Feb 26, 2009 #4
    Yes this is the one i was referring to.
    Thanks for the help but i was hoping to stick to the same rectangular prism i have already been using, any other ideas?
Share this great discussion with others via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook