1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Refractive index question

1. Oct 11, 2004 #1
    Light ray goes into a container at 70 degrees, the container is made of perspects. The refective index of perspex is 1.48.

What are the angles of refraction in (i) the water; (ii) the plastic, (iii) the air below the tank.

I cant work it out, the answer to the first bit is 26 degrees, i know that for sure, thanks....

2. jcsd
  3. Oct 11, 2004 #2
    Please show us what you have done so far and where you are stuck.

4. Oct 11, 2004 #3
    ok using snells law, n (refractive index) = sin i / sin r, i have worked out the first one which equals

sin 20 / 1.33 = sin r (the refractive index is 1.33 for water)

= 26 degrees

next i need to find the refractive index of the perspects which is 1.48, done!
    the hint for the question is " You need to work out the refractive index when light goes from water to plastic – just imagine a thin layer of air between them."

hum, i thought, i tryed all different ways of doing it with out any joy, so im stuck, confused and irritated.

5. Oct 11, 2004 #4
    Please note that the container is made of perspects, filled with water. The orginal ray of light came into the water at 70 degrees and i have worked out that the refraction of the light ray is 26 degrees. Just need to find the other two parts to the question...

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?