Refractive Index: Variations & Formula Proof

In summary, refractive index varies with wavelength and can be complex. The formula given is a result of classical dispersion theory, but the proof may be too complex.
alikazemi7
Hi
1)Does refractive index varies when we are dealing with different waves? for example the refractive index for a typical glass is 1.5 when a visible light passes through it. Does it the same for x rays?
2) there is a complex formula which describes the refractive index: n = 1- δ - iβ. how is the proof of this formula?

Science news on Phys.org
1) Yes refractive index of a material varies with wavelength of the radiation incident on it.

Can't answer the 2nd question.

Likes alikazemi7
Refractive index changes with variation of waves, yes. And that formula looks familiar, I think I saw it in Feynman's lecture in physics, but I don't think the proof was given there, the proof may be too complex.

Likes alikazemi7
A quite simple model for the dielectric function of a homogeneous material (and thus the refraction index) is to assume a completely classical system of bound charges, which are only slightly disturbed by the incoming electromagnetic wave and thus linear-response theory is applicable. So you can just assume that the charges of the material are bound harmonically and have some "friction" (dissipation). It's a bit lengthy to work this out here. You find an excellent treatment of this classical dispersion theory in

A. Sommerfeld, Lectures on theoretical physics, vol. 4 (optics)

Likes artyb
alikazemi7 said:
2) there is a complex formula which describes the refractive index: n = 1- δ - iβ. how is the proof of this formula?
In general, refractive index can be complex, i.e. ##n=n_R+i\hspace{0.5mm}n_I##. This is because refractive index is defined as the square root of permittivity, while permittivity is a complex quantity.
$$
n=\sqrt{\epsilon} = \sqrt{1+\chi} = \sqrt{1+\chi_R+i\hspace{0.5mm}\chi_I}
$$
So, it's no surprise that you would find something like you wrote there.

Likes alikazemi7

1. What is refractive index?

Refractive index is a measure of how much light is bent (refracted) when it passes through a substance, such as a solid, liquid, or gas.

2. How is refractive index calculated?

The refractive index of a substance can be calculated by dividing the speed of light in a vacuum by the speed of light in that substance. This can be represented by the formula n=c/v, where n is the refractive index, c is the speed of light in a vacuum, and v is the speed of light in the substance.

3. What factors affect the refractive index of a substance?

The refractive index of a substance can be affected by several factors, including the density, temperature, and chemical composition of the substance. In general, substances with a higher density and a higher chemical composition have a higher refractive index, while a higher temperature can decrease the refractive index.

4. How does refractive index vary among different substances?

The refractive index can vary greatly among different substances. For example, the refractive index of air is close to 1, while the refractive index of diamond is much higher at 2.42. This variation is due to the different molecular structures and densities of different substances.

5. What are some practical applications of refractive index?

Refractive index is used in many practical applications, such as determining the purity of substances in chemistry, measuring the sugar content in food products, and creating lenses for glasses and microscopes. It is also an important concept in optics and the design of optical instruments.