Refractive indices question .

• Thread starter rbnphlp
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Indices
In summary, the conversation discusses the scenario of a tank of water covered with a layer of oil and air above it. The question is asked about the necessary angle of a beam of light, originating from inside the tank, for no light to escape at the water-oil interface. The calculations involve the use of Snell's Law and the concept of total internal reflection. However, there seems to be an issue with the calculations and the speaker requests assistance.
rbnphlp
A tank of water (nwater = 1.33) is co v e r e d w i t h a l a y e r o f oi l (noil = 1.48),
a b o v e w h i c h is a i r ( n ~ r - - 1.00). W h a t a n g l e m u s t a b e a m o f l i g h t , o r i g i n a t i n g i n t h e t a n k , m a k e a t t h e w a t e r - o i l
i n t e r f a c e i f n o l i g h t is t o e s c a p e ?

my calculations ..

n_air sin \theta_i=n_oil sin\theta _t

n_oil sin \theta_t=n_water sin\theta_r

and total internal reflection occurs when angle is larger than the critical angle ,but doesn't work out ..any help?

Science news on Phys.org
Please reformat your question so it is intelligible. I am assuming you are neglecting thin-film interference.

1) What is a refractive index?

A refractive index is a measure of how much light is bent, or refracted, when it travels through a material. It compares the speed of light in a vacuum to the speed of light in the material.

2) How is refractive index determined?

Refractive index is determined by measuring the angle at which light is bent when it passes from one material into another. This is called the angle of refraction and is dependent on the properties of the material.

3) What factors affect the refractive index of a material?

The refractive index of a material is affected by its density, temperature, and wavelength of light. Different materials have different refractive indices due to their unique properties.

4) What is the practical application of refractive index?

Refractive index has many practical applications, such as in optics, where it is used to design lenses and determine the angle at which light will be bent. It is also used in the field of material science to study the properties of different materials.

5) How does refractive index relate to Snell's law?

Refraction is governed by Snell's law, which states that the ratio of the sines of the angles of incidence and refraction is equal to the ratio of the speeds of light in the two materials. The refractive index is the constant of proportionality in this equation.