Refraction Angle: Find the Answer to Your Question

• Thread starter StudentofPhysics
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Angle
In summary, the conversation discusses the calculation of the angle of refraction of a ray of light passing through a rectangular block of glass (n=1.52) surrounded by liquid carbon disulfide (n=1.63). The initial angle of incidence is 46.0 degrees, and the goal is to find the angle at which the ray exits the liquid. The equation n1 sin 01 = n2 sin 02 is used, with 50.48 degrees being the initial incorrect answer. It is then realized that the angle at which the ray exits the block is 90-50.48 = 39.52 degrees, and another calculation is needed to find the final angle of refraction in the liquid.
StudentofPhysics
The drawing shows a rectangular block of glass (n = 1.52) surrounded by liquid carbon disulfide (n = 1.63). A ray of light is incident on the glass at point A with a = 46.0° angle of incidence. At what angle of refraction does the ray leave the glass at point B?

p26-20alt.gif

I know to use n1 sin 01 = n2 sin 02 (0 = theta)

i came up with 50.48 degrees, which was wrong. Then I figured since it was traveling back out of the block, maybe i should keep going and solve for that angle, which just cam out to be 46 degrees, also wrong.

What am I doing wrong?

Physics news on Phys.org
StudentofPhysics said:
i came up with 50.48 degrees, which was wrong. Then I figured since it was traveling back out of the block, maybe i should keep going and solve for that angle, which just cam out to be 46 degrees, also wrong.

50.48° is the angle at which the ray emerges in the block. It then continues its course and hits the surface block-liquid at the angle 90° - 50.48° = 39.52° (draw a little square-triangle to see it). Then you got to run another n1 sin 01 = n2 sin 02 to find the angle 02 at which the ray emerges in the liquid. But this time, of course, the index "1" refers to the glass and the index "2" refers to the liquid.

Thank you. I forget to subtract 50.48 from 90 before continuing on.
Got it now though.

What is refraction angle?

Refraction angle is the angle between the incident ray and the refracted ray at the point of refraction. It is measured from the normal line, which is a line drawn perpendicular to the surface of the medium at the point of incidence.

How is the refraction angle calculated?

The refraction angle can be calculated using Snell's Law, which states that the ratio of the sine of the angle of incidence to the sine of the angle of refraction is equal to the ratio of the velocities of light in the two media.

What factors affect the refraction angle?

The refraction angle is affected by the angle of incidence, the indices of refraction of the two media, and the wavelength of light. The angle of incidence and the indices of refraction determine the amount of bending, while the wavelength of light affects the speed of light in the medium.

What is the relationship between the refraction angle and the angle of incidence?

The refraction angle and the angle of incidence are related by Snell's Law. As the angle of incidence increases, the refraction angle also increases. However, the relationship is not always linear and depends on the indices of refraction of the two media.

Why is refraction angle important?

Refraction angle is important because it explains how light behaves when it passes through different media. It is also used in various applications, such as designing lenses for eyeglasses, telescopes, and microscopes, and in determining the shape and size of objects in medical imaging techniques like X-rays and MRI.