1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Refrence Angles & Positive/Negative Angles(Coterminals) HOW?

1. Jun 2, 2004 #1
    my question is, how do you "Find one positive angle and one negative angle that are coterminal with each angle." :

For example:

[tex]\frac{5\pi}{12} [/tex]

And also, I had a question on this as well:

Find the reference angle for each angle with the given measure.
    [tex]\frac{12\pi}{5} [/tex]

i noe that you have to see what quadrant it is in, then from there, you use the Reference Angle Rule, whichever one. But what if the measure is a negative number? Like for example, [tex]-210\circ[/tex]?? What would you do here?

if anyone can help me with these i'd be really gratefull! thanks!!

2. jcsd
  3. Jun 3, 2004 #2

AKG

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Given some angle, x, you can find a positive angle co-terminal with x by adding [itex]2\pi[/itex] to x until you get a positive number, and you can figure out how to find a negative angle.
    To find the reference angle for any angle, keep continuing to add or subtract [itex]2\pi[/itex] until you get a value, x, such that [itex]0 \leq x < 2\pi[/itex]. Of course, you'll have to figure out whether you need to add, subtract, or neither.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?