1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Refrigeration Heat Exchanger Area Ratio Optimization

1. Aug 6, 2013 #1
    The equation for heat transfer is:

1. Q = U.A.(TL-T1)

Where:

Q= heat transfered (W).
    U= overal h.t. coefficient.
    A= area of heat exhanger (m^2).
    TL= Temp. of refrigerated space (Kelvin)
    T1= Low temp. of refrigerant= refrigerant in evaporator (K)

I want to eventually find the maximum heat removed from the refrigerated space: QL, corresponding to the optimal heat exchanger area ratio: Xa.

2. QL,max. = Capture11.jpg (Click for clear version)

3. Xa,optimum = Capture22.png

I know all values in parts 1. 2. and 3. except for A, U and QL,m(QL max).

My question:

I want to find a reasonable value for A and U (the values will be theoretical but must be realistic, and I only need these results so I can show how using a optimised area ratio will improve them). After that I will optimize the system using the QL max and Xa optimum equations, from 2. and 3. above, respectively. Does this make sense to you? I have many doubts, such as when I sub in a reasonable value for A, I do not find a reasonable value for U, even though I trust my other values are correct.

What other equations for U are there, so I might be able to find this oppose to estimate?

Thanks for your time

Last edited: Aug 6, 2013
  2. jcsd
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Can you offer guidance or do you also need help?