Refrigeration Loop: Pressure Measurements and Corresponding Components

In summary, the conversation discusses confusion about which pressures correspond to which parts of a refrigeration loop. The handout suggests using the pressure reading after the expansion valve for the condenser and the pressure upstream of the expansion valve for the evaporator, but this seems counterintuitive. Upon further research, it is confirmed that there may be a mix up and the pressure readings should be reversed. A link is provided for additional information on the heat pump and refrigeration cycle.
manatou

Homework Statement

I have just done a lab with a refrigeration loop, and I'm unsure of which pressures correspond to which parts of the loop. The hand out says to assume the pressure across the condenser and evaporator are constant, and to use the two pressure guages to measure the pressure. Where I'm confused is it says to use the pressure reading after the expansion valve for the condenser, and the pressure upstream of the expansion valve for the evaporator.

Is this the wrong way around? Intuitively it seems wrong, and the tutor running the lab was unsure as he was filling in for the normal tutor.

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

Physics news on Phys.org
Thanks for the link, done a bit more reading, seems like you're right. good to have it confirmed.

1. What is a refrigeration loop?

A refrigeration loop is a closed system that circulates a refrigerant to transfer heat from one location to another. It consists of four main components: a compressor, a condenser, an expansion valve, and an evaporator.

2. How does a refrigeration loop work?

A refrigeration loop works by compressing the refrigerant gas, which raises its temperature and pressure. The hot gas then flows to the condenser, where it condenses into a liquid and releases heat to the surrounding environment. The liquid then passes through the expansion valve, where it expands and becomes a cold gas. This cold gas then flows to the evaporator, where it absorbs heat from the surrounding environment, cooling it down. The cycle then repeats as the refrigerant returns to the compressor.

3. What is the purpose of a refrigeration loop?

The main purpose of a refrigeration loop is to remove heat from one location and transfer it to another location. This is achieved through the process of refrigeration, which allows for the cooling of air or liquids for various applications such as food preservation, air conditioning, and industrial processes.

4. What are the different types of refrigeration loops?

There are several types of refrigeration loops, including vapor compression, absorption, and air cycle. Vapor compression is the most common type and is used in most refrigeration and air conditioning systems. Absorption refrigeration uses a combination of refrigerant and absorbent to achieve cooling, while air cycle refrigeration uses air as the refrigerant.

5. How can I maintain my refrigeration loop?

To maintain a refrigeration loop, it is important to regularly check and replace any worn or damaged components, such as filters and belts. It is also important to keep the system clean and free of debris, and to ensure proper refrigerant levels and pressures. Regular maintenance by a qualified technician can help prevent breakdowns and ensure the efficient operation of the refrigeration loop.