Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Refrigeration question

1. Jun 16, 2007 #1
    Hey All

Suppose ur designing a refrigeration cycle. if u go to the market to choose parts for an 18000BTU/h circuit. The compressor has different ratings according to the entering temp and exit temp, then u have the thermal expansion valve which is also rated in BTU/hr depending on entry and exit pressures, the Evaporator and condenser are also rated according to the BTU/h scale depending on the evaporating and condensing temperatures..
    my question is, who sets the liquid and evaporating temperatures?
    how could i be sure that my cycle would be a high temperature cycle? or medium, or low temperature!!!

2. jcsd
  3. Jun 16, 2007 #2

Danger

Gold Member

Sounds like a job for the Russman.

4. Jun 17, 2007 #3

NoTime

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

1) The liquid and gas phase temps are primarily determined by the characteristics of the operating fluid.
    How you implement those characteristics into your design sets the operational temps.

2) I don't know a lot about refrigeration, but I think you need to clarify this question.

5. Jun 17, 2007 #4
    using R-22 for example...what my question means is that to design a refrigeration cycle u select the pieces according to capacity, but what makes sure they wil operate at a certain condensing temp and evap and not another?

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?