Refrigeration System Analysis

In summary: Your Name]In summary, the problem involves a refrigeration system operating off Ref-134a with specified conditions for the compressor, throttling valve, and evaporator. The task is to determine the power input of the compressor, the rate of heat removal from the refrigerated space, and the heat gain and pressure drop in the line between the evaporator and the compressor. The problem can be solved using an energy balance across the entire system, and the missing quantity of 0.40 kW is the rate of heat removal from the refrigerated space.
cmmcnamara

Homework Statement

Refrigeration system operates off Ref-134a. The refrigerant enters the compressor at 100kPa and -20C at a rate of 0.5 m^3/min, and leaves at 0.8MPa. The isentropic efficiency of the compressor is 78%. The refrigerant enters the throttling valve at 0.75MPa and 26C. It leaves the evaporator as a saturated vapor at -26C. Determine the power input of the compressor, the rate of heat removal from the refrigerated space, and the heat gain and pressure drop in the line between the evaporator and the compressor.

Neglect KE, PE and assume steady state operating conditions.

Homework Equations

All the usual thermodynamic relations

The Attempt at a Solution

This problem was pretty easy for the most part, just enthalpy calculations based on property table look up but my thinking isn't matching up on one part if I differ the thinking of problem solution.

From my own calculations I find the compressor input work to be 2.40 kW, the rate of heat loss from the line 0.202 kW. These answers are precisely those given in the book. My problem lies in the heat loss from the refrigerated space. I believe there are two ways to calculate this. One is first law across the evaporator which leads to the book answer which is 6.17kW. This is essentially the product of refrigerant flow rate with the change in enthalpy across the evaporator. However I think another way would be to do an energy balance across the entire system. This leads to 6.57 kW which is a difference of .40 kW to the result given by the book. I feel like these numbers should match up regardless of the method but I haven't been able to convince myself of where the error in my reasoning occurs. There are a few things I have mulled over:

-The process is the Rankine cycle with a mixture of ideal and non-ideal assumptions however the only assumption that is ideal that is used is that the throttling valve is isenthalpic. All the other states are specified in some manner or have ideal deviations
-I noticed the missing quantity is .40kW which is about double the line loss but I don't know if it is significant
-The only line loss specified is from evaporator to compressor, the other lines don't seem to have losses/gains I can identify

Can anyone help me identify what I am missing? I know there must be something because the energy balance method value for the entire system can't be a different value from that calculated from the constituent part the loss occurred across!

Physics news on Phys.org

Thank you for your post. It seems like you have put a lot of effort into finding the solution to this problem. However, I believe there may be a slight misunderstanding in your approach.

When calculating the rate of heat removal from the refrigerated space, it is important to consider the entire system, including the compressor and other components. This means that the energy balance should be done across the entire system, not just the evaporator.

In your attempt, you correctly calculated the compressor input work and the rate of heat loss from the line. However, the missing quantity of 0.40 kW is actually the rate of heat removal from the refrigerated space. This can be seen by doing an energy balance across the entire system, which would give you the same result.

I hope this helps clarify the issue. Keep up the good work in your studies!

What is a refrigeration system?

A refrigeration system is a mechanical system that uses the principles of thermodynamics to transfer heat from one location to another in order to maintain a specific temperature inside an enclosed space. It typically consists of a compressor, condenser, expansion valve, and evaporator.

How does a refrigeration system work?

A refrigeration system works by compressing a refrigerant gas, which increases its temperature and pressure. This high-pressure gas then flows through a condenser where it is cooled and condensed into a liquid. The liquid refrigerant then passes through an expansion valve, which lowers its pressure and temperature, causing it to evaporate into a gas. This gas then absorbs heat from the surrounding area, cooling it, and is then compressed back into a high-pressure gas to start the cycle again.

What is the purpose of a refrigeration system analysis?

The purpose of a refrigeration system analysis is to evaluate the performance and efficiency of a refrigeration system. This includes analyzing its energy consumption, cooling capacity, and temperature control to ensure optimal functioning and identify any potential issues or areas for improvement.

What factors affect the efficiency of a refrigeration system?

Several factors can affect the efficiency of a refrigeration system, including the type and condition of the components, the type of refrigerant used, the operating temperature and pressure, and the maintenance and upkeep of the system. Additionally, external factors such as ambient temperature and humidity can also impact its efficiency.

How can the efficiency of a refrigeration system be improved?

To improve the efficiency of a refrigeration system, regular maintenance and upkeep are crucial. This includes cleaning and replacing filters, checking for leaks, and ensuring proper temperature and pressure levels. Upgrading to more energy-efficient components and using newer, more environmentally friendly refrigerants can also significantly improve the efficiency of the system.