1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Refrigerator - Heat Energy

1. Nov 27, 2005 #1
    100 mL of water at 288 K is placed in the freezer compartment of a refrigerator with a coefficient of performance of 4.0. How much heat energy is exhausted into the room as the water is changed to ice at 258 K?

(The answer is 5.34 x 10^4 J)

I tried using the Brayton-cycle refrigerator to understand this problem.

I am assuming that the lower isobar is the part of the graph that I need to analyze, where the low-temperature heat exchanger warms the gas and cools the refrigerator. With this method, I know that [tex]Q = nC_v\Delta T[/tex]. However, I cannot think of a way to find the number of moles (n).

I also don't know if my reasoning is correct (that is, only using the lower isobar of the graph to answer my question).

I am also assuming that my lower temperature (258 K) is equivalent to Tc, and my higher temperature (288 K) is equivalent to Th.
    I am not sure if this is correct, however.

I have realized that I need to use work (in) to answer the question, because K = Q / W.

However, the work for an isobar is W = pV, and I do not know the pressure, and am unable to find it since I do not know the number of moles.

Any advice will be greatly appreciated, thank you.
    Last edited by a moderator: Nov 27, 2005
  2. jcsd
  3. Nov 27, 2005 #2

Andrew Mason

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

You don't know, or have to know, the details of the cycle. All you have to do is find [itex]Q_H = W + Q_C[/itex] where:
    [tex]COP = Q_C/W[/tex]

[tex]Q_C[/tex] is the heat lost by the water (you have to take into account temperature change + heat of fusion).

Last edited: Nov 27, 2005
  4. Nov 28, 2005 #3
    What is COP?

And I don't think we are required to know heat of fusion, so there must be some other way to solve the problem.
  5. Nov 28, 2005 #4

Andrew Mason

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

You have double posted this. My response will be found on the other thread:

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?