Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Refrigerator Magnet

1. May 22, 2007 #1
    I have a flat rectangular refrigerator magnet. I was curious to where the N S poles were, so I took a standard bar magnet to it to find them. Curiously, the bar magnet does not seem to be repelled at any place of the refrig magnet. Where would the poles be on a flat, bendable refrig magnet?

2. jcsd
  3. May 22, 2007 #2

Danger

Gold Member

This is no expert response; I don't actually know the answer. Having worked with the stupid things, however, I have a suspicion.
    I used to make fridge magnets, screen-printing a design and then cutting out the shape. When stacking them for packaging, they like to slide around on each other just a bit and then settle down. That leads me to think that north and south domains alternate across the surface, quite close together, as if you had hundreds of bar magnets standing on end in a checkerboard pattern.

4. May 22, 2007 #3

Doc Al

Staff: Mentor

You have the right idea, almost. The poles are all on the same side, like alternating horseshoe magnets--very clever, making only one side "sticky". Check this out: Refrigerator Magnets

5. May 22, 2007 #4

Danger

Gold Member

Wow... that's even weirder than I thought. I kinda like that 'worm gear' thing that the guy made, but I can't imagine it transferring much more torque than is needed to just turn the 'pinion'.

6. May 22, 2007 #5
    Neat, wonder if I can find enough such fridge magnets to try that gear thing..

7. May 22, 2007 #6
    Please provide a Link?

8. May 22, 2007 #7

Danger

Gold Member

It's in Doc's link. Just scroll down a bit.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?