How can I calculate lift for an RC helicopter using software?

In summary, the conversation discusses the task of analyzing an RC helicopter for a final year project. The speaker is looking for software that can simulate the helicopter's rotation speed and aerodynamics, as well as fly it under different conditions. The other person suggests using a flight simulator or manually calculating the data based on variables. The speaker clarifies that the task involves designing an automated control system using a micro controller and PCM transmitter, and requires analysis of the rotor speed during hovering and different wind conditions. The other person advises that there is no single software that can provide all the necessary data, and suggests calculating lift and adjusting the angle of attack for windy conditions.
Rooney_04
hi..
i m currently given a task regarding RC helicopter. So i would to know what the software that can simulate the RC helicopter such in the terms of rotation speed, the aerodynamic aspect, or maybe to fly the helicopter under different condition heavy windy condition...
Pls i m extreamly need help on this topic.

Physics news on Phys.org
Microsoft Flight Simulator for basic flight and weather input.

There are plenty of RC simulators out there (Google) to use.

I take it you want to collect raw data on some aspect of the helicopter? You could just manually calculate it based on the different variables (rotor speed and the like).

Perhaps you could elaborate on what the task is a bit more. If you are talking about being able to design a helicopter in the software and then have it analyse it's performance and aerodynamics for you then you aren't going to be in for much luck I'm afraid, at least not at a reasonable price.

Even designing a basic model for MFS is a relatively complex task.

"Perhaps you could elaborate on what the task is a bit more. If you are talking about being able to design a helicopter in the software and then have it analyse it's performance and aerodynamics for you then you aren't going to be in for much luck I'm afraid, at least not at a reasonable price."

I can't understand about this paragraph? Because i need the software name n need to give the list of software as well as the capability of the software to my supervisor?

Rooney_04 said:
"Perhaps you could elaborate on what the task is a bit more. If you are talking about being able to design a helicopter in the software and then have it analyse it's performance and aerodynamics for you then you aren't going to be in for much luck I'm afraid, at least not at a reasonable price."

I can't understand about this paragraph? Because i need the software name n need to give the list of software as well as the capability of the software to my supervisor?

What do you intend to do with the software? All you have said is you were "given a task". I can't help you with a software product unless I know what the task involves.

basically i given task to analysis an RC-helicopter. n majoring in high voltage electric,n not aerospace student. So i m consider have less knowledge regarding this topic. So can u suggestion what are the analysis can be done with software u stated?

Firstly, please use proper English in your posts. (Don't mean to sound harsh but it's the PF rules and will help me understand what you want better.)

I didn't state any software for analysis.

MSF is a game and won't allow you to do any testing.

If you are a high voltage student, why would you have this task? There aren't any pieces of software you can just stick a design into and it will give you all of the answers. You can use certain CFD packages to allow you to look at the aerodynamics but you still need some knowledge of the field to be able to interpret the data. With regards to any other testing, it is generally conducted in a wind tunnel.
The majority of items you can 'analyse' for an RC helicopter will be based in manual calculations and real life testing (go fly the thing).

Again, can you tell me what you are required to analyse so I can give you a specific answer as to what you are looking for.

Sorry for my bad grammar and usage of English.

Firstly, it all regarding my final year project. I m doing project on automated control system. So i need to control the rotor speed of the RC helicopter by using micro controller,so that it will do routine such as hovering, move left of right and liftoff(take off) as well as landing. So there will a PCM transmitter that will send binary coded data to the micro controller so that it will execute the data received from the Transmitter. Thus to control the rotor speed can done by control duty cycle of the PWM that generated by the PIC(micro controller).

The analysis i need require
a. the rotor speed when RC helicopter hovering, liftoff and etc.
b. flying the RC-helicopter in the different conditon, such as heavy wind.

Rooney_04 said:
Sorry for my bad grammar and usage of English.

Firstly, it all regarding my final year project. I m doing project on automated control system. So i need to control the rotor speed of the RC helicopter by using micro controller,so that it will do routine such as hovering, move left of right and liftoff(take off) as well as landing. So there will a PCM transmitter that will send binary coded data to the micro controller so that it will execute the data received from the Transmitter. Thus to control the rotor speed can done by control duty cycle of the PWM that generated by the PIC(micro controller).

The analysis i need require
a. the rotor speed when RC helicopter hovering, liftoff and etc.
b. flying the RC-helicopter in the different conditon, such as heavy wind.

OK, now we're getting somewhere.

a) To start, what do you know about the helicopter? I assume the blades are constant pitch? Which means the lift is controlled by RPM. As far as I'm aware, there isn't a piece of software available for you to simply plug in some details and come out with an answer. You would first need to calculate the lift generated at different rotor speeds (or do you know this? do you know the airflow through the rotor?) and then from there you can tell the required values for lift off, hover etc.

b) Heavy wind and RC helicopters is a big no no. The lift component required would be no different to calm conditions, however, to compensate for the wind you would change the angle of attack of the helicopter. This would mean the rotor RPM would have to increase to ensure the downwards lift is kept constant. The RPM will change depending on angle of attack and so isn't just one figure.

OK. Thanks for the info.

How can i calculate the the lift generated at different rotor speeds (or do you know this? do you know the airflow through the rotor?) and then from there you can tell the required values for lift off, hover etc.

Rooney_04 said:
OK. Thanks for the info.

How can i calculate the the lift generated at different rotor speeds (or do you know this? do you know the airflow through the rotor?) and then from there you can tell the required values for lift off, hover etc.

You need to look at how the aerofoil of the rotor reacts at different air speeds and calculate the lift output. Not a simple task.

This may help you:
http://www.grc.nasa.gov/WWW/K-12/airplane/foil3.html

It isn't brilliantly accurate, but you could simulate your aerofoil shape and see what lift is produced by the rotor (very roughly) at different RPM.
Once you've done that you can check the lift produced against the vehicles weight to see if it will fly / hover / descend.

If this isn't part of your course, they can't expect you to do it. You should have the info you require to complete the task.

1. What is aerospace software?

Aerospace software refers to the specialized computer programs and systems used in the design, development, and operation of aircraft and spacecraft. It includes a wide range of applications such as flight control, navigation, communication, and simulation software.

2. How is aerospace software different from other types of software?

Aerospace software is highly complex and must meet strict safety and reliability standards due to the critical nature of its applications. It also often requires real-time processing and must be able to operate in extreme environments such as outer space.

3. What are the main challenges in developing aerospace software?

The main challenges in developing aerospace software include ensuring safety and reliability, meeting strict performance requirements, and managing the complexity of the systems. Additionally, the software must be able to adapt to changing conditions and be able to integrate with other systems.

4. How is the quality of aerospace software ensured?

Aerospace software undergoes rigorous testing and verification processes to ensure its quality and reliability. This includes simulation testing, code reviews, and extensive documentation. The software must also meet certification standards set by regulatory agencies before it can be used in aircraft or spacecraft.

5. What are the future advancements in aerospace software?

The future of aerospace software is focused on improving efficiency, safety, and performance. This includes advancements in artificial intelligence and machine learning, as well as the use of open-source software and virtualization techniques. There is also a growing emphasis on cybersecurity to protect these critical systems from potential threats.