Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Regarding Backup UPS operation

1. May 25, 2010 #1
    I have a 500 VA backup UPS for my computer. Whenever I switch ON my UPS it takes around 30 seconds to come to normal (to get Green signal), till then orange light will be emitted. I think UPS is in self-test mode at that time. Is it safe to switch ON my CPU and monitor or at least my CPU before UPS coming to normal state, so that I can save that time in booting my computer.

2. jcsd
  3. May 25, 2010 #2

russ_watters

Staff: Mentor

I'd read the manual, but in any case, why not just leave the UPS on?

4. May 27, 2010 #3
    You are correct about the self test and yes, it is safe to turn on the PC while it is going through it. It is a battery and transfer test going on internally, so you'll be fine. However, I agree with Russ. Why, if you have a UPS, would you shut it off? Leave the UPS on in order to get the protection it offers.

http://www.tabbiglass.com" [Broken]

Last edited by a moderator: May 4, 2017
  5. May 29, 2010 #4
    Thanks for your replies. Actually I am using this UPS for my computer in my home, which I use only in night time. I can't switch ON my UPS all the time, because it is unnecessary.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook