I can imagine this being asked before, but how does one go about getting a signature/avatar on these boards? My suspician would be that only moderators and the like are able to, but in case I'm wrong, how do I do this?
You have to become a contributor. You can do this by donating $25 to physics forums, or at the moment, you can submit a quiz on 10+ questions, or make regular PF blog entries and you'll have your membership upgraded for free.
We Value Quality
• Topics based on mainstream science
• Proper English grammar and spelling We Value Civility
• Positive and compassionate attitudes
• Patience while debating We Value Productivity
• Disciplined to remain on-topic
• Recognition of own weaknesses
• Solo and co-op problem solving