Can Website Trophies Translate Into Monetary Rewards?

• Thread starter MathematicalPhysicist
  • Start date
In summary, most websites offer trophies as an incentive to help others and to recognise the time and effort that has been put in. However, the system can become complicated and money should be an option for users.
MathematicalPhysicist
Gold Member
In all the websites such as MSE Moverflow mathhelpboards etc, why do we get trophies and all that stuff like points?

Can we get money from these trophies?
If yes how exactly?

I never understood this points metric in websites, ok posts' counts is OK you want to see his or hers number of posts, but what does likes measure?

Can we convert them to money?

Physics news on Phys.org
Not us but Rumplestiltskin can... for a price. Don’t accept his third offer.

• Haha
  • Informative
Likes Tom.G, DaveC426913 and S.G. Janssens
Most trophies system are there just to trick you into working harder/paying more (through the incentive salience).

MathematicalPhysicist said:
Can we get money from these trophies?
If yes how exactly?
Can we convert them to money?
No money.

The sites offer you trophies so as to recognise the time you invested and your efforts in helping others in the site.

In addition, what Borek has said in #3 is also a valid point. Maybe that was the main reason behind the creation of the trophy system.

Wrichik Basu said:
No money.

The sites offer you trophies so as to recognise the time you invested and your efforts in helping others in the site.

In addition, what Borek has said in #3 is also a valid point. Maybe that was the main reason behind the creation of the trophy system.
Ah, for recognition.
Well, I like helping others when I can and remember the stuff that I learnt, I mean before this recognition system was put forth PF and other forums were only counting the number of posts.

So people voluntarily helped and asked questions with no incentive (or so at least I naively thought back then), but who knows what incentives they got back then, I didn't get any and I even wanted to nullify my counts' number back then with my username lqg; don't know why though.

Perhaps the time is right for real money (or is it virtual money nowadays?).

Perhaps the time is right for real money (or is it virtual money nowadays?).
You are right, let's marry Banach and Bachelier. From now on, I will be accepting payment on their behalf, but not from political entities, as that would violate PF rules.

S.G. Janssens said:
You are right, let's marry Banach and Bachelier. From now on, I will be accepting donations on their behalf, but not from political entities, as that would violate PF rules.
Yeah Banach spaces,algebras,lattices jigsaws... :oldbiggrin: Perhaps there should be a Banach topology; How would I define it?

erhaps there should be a Banach topology; How would I define it?
You already did:
Banach spaces
:smile:

• Haha
Likes MathematicalPhysicist
Borek said:
Most trophies system are there just to trick you into working harder/paying more (through the incentive salience).
It's good for the ego, I guess people like respect than helping for free.

But they should put a money option, otherwise it will eventually collapse into itself.

If you add money everything gets more complicated, and it's rarely an improvement (apart from places where you obviously need it, e.g. selling stuff online).

Likes Wrichik Basu
But they should put a money option
People that feel something is extremely worthwhile seem to start it off with a generous endowment. When there is a six or seven figure fund available, we may start considering it worthwhile.

(Hint, Hint)

Tom.G said:
People that feel something is extremely worthwhile seem to start it off with a generous endowment. When there is a six or seven figure fund available, we may start considering it worthwhile.

(Hint, Hint)

1. What is the purpose of the trophies system?

The purpose of the trophies system is to provide a way to recognize and reward individuals for their achievements and contributions in a specific field or area of study.

2. How does the trophies system work?

The trophies system typically involves a set of criteria or goals that individuals must meet in order to earn a trophy. These criteria can vary depending on the specific system, but often include things like completing a certain number of tasks, reaching a certain level of expertise, or receiving positive feedback from peers.

3. Are trophies only awarded for academic achievements?

No, trophies can be awarded for a variety of achievements and contributions, including academic achievements, scientific discoveries, community service, and more. The specific criteria for earning a trophy will depend on the purpose and guidelines of the system.

4. Can individuals earn multiple trophies?

Yes, it is possible for individuals to earn multiple trophies within a single system. This can be achieved by meeting different sets of criteria or by continuously improving and surpassing previous achievements.

5. How are trophies beneficial for scientists?

Trophies can be beneficial for scientists as they provide motivation and recognition for their hard work and contributions. They can also serve as a way to track progress and set goals for future achievements.