1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Regarding torus and water

1. May 15, 2013 #1
    Hi,

If i use a spoon with a hole in it in a cup of water, bubbles emerge. Does that mean that air got in?

Regards,

Justin

2. jcsd
  3. May 15, 2013 #2

CWatters

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Water can contain disolved oxygen so could just be that. You haven't really given us much info.

4. May 15, 2013 #3
    Isnt that impossible? Simply mixing something in water does not bring chemical reactions into place. Also not putting oxygen together. Or do you mean water with bubbles?

I mean normal water at the kitchen sink.

5. May 15, 2013 #4

CWatters

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Agitation (eg stirring) is a good way to release disolved gasses. Try shaking a can of soda before opening it.

6. May 16, 2013 #5
    Ok, if there is reaction to agitation, this is chemical. I try to see how 'big' bubbles come into existence by say stirring with a kind of stick.

7. May 16, 2013 #6

CWatters

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Cavitation?

Edit: Perhaps I'd better explain... When an object is dragged through water you can get a pressure reduction behind the object. This can cause air to be dragged down into the water.

If not that then I suggest you post a video.

Last edited: May 16, 2013
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook