Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Regarding Weight Calculation !

1. Feb 10, 2013 #1
    I Found that my body weight with shoes is found less than the sum of ( body weight without shoes + weight of shoes ).

example : Weight of body is A and Weight of shoes is B
    Human weight wearing shoes is C

I Found that C > ( A + B ).

Is it possible ?

2. jcsd
  3. Feb 10, 2013 #2

Drakkith

Staff: Mentor

I don't believe so. It's probably a result of your scale having different weighing errors at different amounts of weight. IE if you put 5 pounds on it, it may be accurate to within 1-2 pounds, and if you put 150 pounds it may be accurate to within 2-3 pounds. If you put 155 pounds it may still be accurate to within 2-3 pounds. So if you add the first two measurements you could be off by several pounds compared to the third measurement just due to the errors inherent to the scale and the fact that you took multiple measurements.

Try doing several different measurements. Try putting your shoes on the scale and then pressing down and letting the scale come back up afterwards and see if that changes the measurement. Sometimes if it approaches the weight from the other way it will be different. Does that make sense?

4. Feb 10, 2013 #3
    Thanks for your answer which gives a possibility for these kind of situations as well.

I have seen the reverse as well in a new weighing machine where C < ( A + B ) does the sponge material available in it makes the difference ?

5. Feb 10, 2013 #4

Drakkith

Staff: Mentor

I think it's unlikely.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook