Can Human Weight Wearing Shoes Be Less Than Body Weight Plus Shoe Weight?

In summary: It's more likely that there are slight variations in the weighing mechanism or the calibration of the scale. In summary, the difference in weight between wearing shoes and not wearing shoes may be due to errors in the scale's weighing mechanism or calibration. This can lead to discrepancies in weight measurements, as demonstrated by the possibility of C > (A + B) and C < (A + B) in different situations.
Nivas.S
I Found that my body weight with shoes is found less than the sum of ( body weight without shoes + weight of shoes ).

example : Weight of body is A and Weight of shoes is B
Human weight wearing shoes is C

I Found that C > ( A + B ).

Is it possible ?

Physics news on Phys.org
I don't believe so. It's probably a result of your scale having different weighing errors at different amounts of weight. IE if you put 5 pounds on it, it may be accurate to within 1-2 pounds, and if you put 150 pounds it may be accurate to within 2-3 pounds. If you put 155 pounds it may still be accurate to within 2-3 pounds. So if you add the first two measurements you could be off by several pounds compared to the third measurement just due to the errors inherent to the scale and the fact that you took multiple measurements.

Try doing several different measurements. Try putting your shoes on the scale and then pressing down and letting the scale come back up afterwards and see if that changes the measurement. Sometimes if it approaches the weight from the other way it will be different. Does that make sense?

Thanks for your answer which gives a possibility for these kind of situations as well.

I have seen the reverse as well in a new weighing machine where C < ( A + B ) does the sponge material available in it makes the difference ?

Nivas.S said:
Thanks for your answer which gives a possibility for these kind of situations as well.

I have seen the reverse as well in a new weighing machine where C < ( A + B ) does the sponge material available in it makes the difference ?

I think it's unlikely.

I would first like to clarify that weight calculation can be a complex and variable process, and there are many factors that can affect the results. It is important to consider the precision and accuracy of the measurement tools used, as well as potential sources of error.

That being said, it is possible for the weight of a person wearing shoes to be greater than the sum of their body weight without shoes and the weight of the shoes. This could occur due to a variety of reasons, such as incorrect measurement of body weight or shoes, or the individual wearing additional items that add to their overall weight.

It is also important to note that body weight can fluctuate throughout the day due to factors such as hydration, food intake, and physical activity. Therefore, it is possible for a person's weight to vary when measured at different times and under different conditions.

In order to accurately assess weight, it is recommended to use multiple measurements over time and to consider other factors such as body composition and overall health rather than solely relying on one measurement.

1. How do you calculate body mass index (BMI)?

To calculate BMI, you divide your weight (in kilograms) by your height squared (in meters). The formula is: BMI = weight (kg) / (height (m))^2. This calculation can give you an estimate of your body fat and whether you are underweight, normal weight, overweight, or obese.

2. What is the difference between weight and mass?

Weight is the measure of the force of gravity on an object, while mass is the measure of the amount of matter in an object. In other words, weight can change depending on the strength of gravity, but mass stays the same regardless of the gravitational force.

3. How accurate are weight scales?

Weight scales can vary in accuracy depending on their quality. Digital scales are typically more accurate than analog scales. However, factors such as surface stability, user error, and calibration can also affect the accuracy of weight scales.

4. Can muscle weigh more than fat?

Yes, muscle is more dense than fat, meaning it takes up less space in the body. Therefore, a person with a higher percentage of muscle mass may weigh more than someone with a higher percentage of body fat, even if they are the same height and overall size.

5. How does age affect weight?

Aging can affect weight in a variety of ways. Metabolism tends to slow down with age, resulting in fewer calories burned. Hormonal changes can also play a role in weight gain or loss. Additionally, as we age, we tend to lose muscle mass and gain fat, which can impact weight and overall body composition.