What factors determine the viability of regenerative power plants?

In summary, the use of feedwater heaters in regenerative power plants results in less work being developed in subsequent stages of the turbine. However, in practice, the advantage of feedwater heaters outweighs the lost turbine work. The viability of regenerative power plants depends on a range of factors such as size, pressure, and temperature, and ultimately comes down to a trade-off between capital cost and operating costs.
El Moriana
Hi, this question is posed merely out of curiosity:

Background
My thermodynamics textbook tells me that in regenerative power plants (i.e. ones making use of feedwater heaters), the steam extracted during expansion in order to feed the feedwater heater(s) results in less work being developed in the subsequent stages of the turbine. It then tells me that in practice, the systems are such that the advantage of the water heater ends up being greater than the lost turbine work.

Question
This leads me to assume that there is a range in size/pressure/temperature in which regen power plants are viable. What is this range? (this question could also be answered by telling me situations in which regen plants are not viable)

Engineering news on Phys.org
There is a simple answer, cost.

Steam extraction and feedwater heating is always good for thermal efficiency of closed-cycle plants. (open-cycle plants are another exception.) But they add complexity and cost. So in the end it comes down to capital cost and development time verus operating costs.

1. What is a regenerative power plant?

A regenerative power plant is a type of power plant that utilizes renewable resources, such as solar, wind, or hydro power, to generate electricity. It is designed to minimize negative impacts on the environment and to reduce dependence on fossil fuels.

2. How does a regenerative power plant work?

A regenerative power plant works by harnessing natural energy sources, such as sunlight, wind, or water, and converting it into electricity through various methods, such as solar panels, wind turbines, or hydroelectric dams. The energy is then stored or distributed to power homes, buildings, or other structures.

3. What are the benefits of a regenerative power plant?

There are many benefits to using regenerative power plants, including reducing carbon emissions, decreasing dependence on fossil fuels, and promoting sustainable energy sources. These plants also have lower operating costs and can create jobs in the renewable energy industry.

4. Are there any limitations to regenerative power plants?

While regenerative power plants have many benefits, they also have limitations. These include the variability of certain renewable energy sources, such as wind and solar, which can impact the consistent production of electricity. They also require significant initial investments and may face challenges with storage and distribution of energy.

5. How can I support the use of regenerative power plants?

There are several ways to support the use of regenerative power plants, including advocating for government policies that promote renewable energy, investing in renewable energy companies, and making personal lifestyle changes to reduce energy consumption. You can also educate others about the benefits of renewable energy and encourage them to make sustainable choices.