Regenerative Rankine cycle with one contact feedwater heater

In summary, the required steam generated from the boiler per hour is not explicitly given. The extracted steam per hour for feedwater heater can be found by solving for the mass flow rate using the given enthalpies and assuming steady-state conditions. The thermal efficiency of the cycle can also be solved using the given enthalpies and the formula for thermal efficiency. The key to solving for A and B is the given 50 MW power output.
Kamuna
Homework Statement
a) required steam generated from the boiler per hour
b) extracted steam per hour for feedwater heater
c) thermal efficiency of the cycle
Relevant Equations
rankine cycle equations
My question is how do i get :
A. required steam generated from the boiler per hour
B. extracted steam per hour for feedwater heater
C. thermal efficiency of the cycle
I can solve the thermal efficiency but A and B is giving me difficulties, i know when solving the extraction of steam needs mass flow rate but in the given there isnt. I am assuming the 50 MW is the key to solving these two ? I still don't know the exact formula in finding A and B but I attached my solutions here although its still on finding the 9 enthalpies. I just need to know the correct formula in solving for A and B. Thanks in advance

Heres my problem set:
In a 50 MW steam power plant operating on regenerative Rankine cycle with one contact feedwater heater, steam enters the turbine at 10 MPa, 300 C and condensed in the condenser with a pressure at 10 kPa. Expansion of steam at high-pressure stage turbine up to saturation at 3.0 MPa then reheated to 300 C. After partial expansion at low-pressure stage turbine to 750 kPa, some steam is bled at this pressure for feedwater heating while the remaining steam is expanded to condenser pressure. Determine:

• required steam generated from the boiler per hour
  • extracted steam per hour for feedwater heater
  • thermal efficiency of the cycle
IMG_20220408_142032.jpg
IMG_20220408_142039.jpg

Physics news on Phys.org
My solution:Enthalpy at state 1 (Boiler): h1 = 3,466.3 kJ/kgEnthalpy at state 2 (High-pressure turbine inlet): h2 = 3,080.1 kJ/kgEnthalpy at state 3 (High-pressure turbine outlet): h3 = 2,510.5 kJ/kgEnthalpy at state 4 (Reheater): h4 = 3,080.1 kJ/kgEnthalpy at state 5 (Low-pressure turbine inlet): h5 = 2,785.7 kJ/kgEnthalpy at state 6 (Low-pressure turbine outlet): h6 = 2,385.6 kJ/kgEnthalpy at state 7 (Feedwater heater inlet): h7 = 2,510.5 kJ/kgEnthalpy at state 8 (Feedwater heater outlet): h8 = 2,660.3 kJ/kgEnthalpy at state 9 (Condenser): h9 = 1,180.7 kJ/kgThermal efficiency of the cycle:η = (h1 - h9) / (h1 - h2) = (3,466.3 - 1,180.7) / (3,466.3 - 3,080.1) = 0.228 = 22.8%

1. What is a Regenerative Rankine cycle with one contact feedwater heater?

A Regenerative Rankine cycle with one contact feedwater heater is a thermodynamic cycle used in power plants to generate electricity. It is a modification of the traditional Rankine cycle, in which the feedwater is heated by steam extracted from the turbine before entering the boiler. This allows for improved efficiency and energy savings.

2. How does a Regenerative Rankine cycle with one contact feedwater heater work?

In a Regenerative Rankine cycle with one contact feedwater heater, the steam extracted from the turbine is used to heat the feedwater before it enters the boiler. This preheating of the feedwater reduces the amount of energy needed to heat the water in the boiler, resulting in improved efficiency. The heated feedwater then enters the boiler, where it is converted into steam and used to drive the turbine.

3. What are the advantages of a Regenerative Rankine cycle with one contact feedwater heater?

The main advantage of a Regenerative Rankine cycle with one contact feedwater heater is its improved efficiency. By preheating the feedwater, less energy is required to heat it in the boiler, resulting in lower fuel consumption and reduced emissions. This cycle also allows for better control of the steam temperature, which can help prevent thermal stress on the turbine.

4. Are there any limitations to using a Regenerative Rankine cycle with one contact feedwater heater?

One limitation of this cycle is that it requires additional equipment, such as a feedwater heater, which can increase the cost of the power plant. Additionally, the efficiency gains may not be significant in smaller power plants, making this cycle more suitable for larger facilities.

5. How does a Regenerative Rankine cycle with one contact feedwater heater compare to other power plant cycles?

The Regenerative Rankine cycle with one contact feedwater heater is considered to be more efficient than the traditional Rankine cycle, but it is not as efficient as other advanced cycles, such as the combined cycle or the supercritical steam cycle. However, it is a cost-effective option for power plants that do not require the high efficiency of these advanced cycles.