Solving the Integral: \int\inte^(x/y) dA

• Thread starter signature16
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Integral
In summary, the conversation discusses evaluating a double integral with two different options for the value of dA. The region R is described as being bounded by three graphs and the person asking for help is directed to consult their course text for further explanation.
signature16
How the heck do I do this problem?

------

Evaluate integral:

[tex]\int\int[/tex]e^(x/y) dA

Where dA=dxdy or dA=dydx

Region R is bounded by the graphs of y=2x, y=-x and y=4

------

Physics news on Phys.org
Hey signature and welcome to PF,

I'm assuming that you haven't done any integration over regions before. If this is the case I'm afraid the best I can do is point you towards the relevant chapter in your course text. Double integrals are difficult enough to explain, even more so without proper diagrams.

If you have met double integrals before, what do you know about them? How do you evaluate them?

1. What is an integral?

An integral is a mathematical concept that represents the area under a curve. It is used to find the total amount of something, such as distance, volume, or energy, by breaking it down into infinitely small pieces and then adding them together.

2. How do you solve an integral?

To solve an integral, you must first identify the function that you are trying to find the area under. Then, you must use integration techniques such as substitution, integration by parts, or partial fractions to manipulate the function into a form that can be easily integrated. Finally, you can use the fundamental theorem of calculus to evaluate the integral and find the exact value of the area.

3. What is the difference between a definite and indefinite integral?

A definite integral has specific limits of integration, meaning that it calculates the area under a curve between two specific points. An indefinite integral does not have specific limits, and it represents the antiderivative or the original function before it was integrated.

4. What is the importance of solving integrals?

Solving integrals is important in many fields, including physics, engineering, and economics. It allows us to find the total amount of something, which can help us make predictions, analyze data, and solve real-world problems.

5. How do you approach a complex integral problem?

To approach a complex integral problem, you should first try to simplify the function using algebraic manipulation or trigonometric identities. Then, you can use integration techniques to break the function into smaller, more manageable pieces. If the problem is still too complex, you can use numerical methods such as Simpson's rule or the trapezoidal rule to approximate the value of the integral.