1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Regions between curves

1. Apr 5, 2015 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    Find the region bounded by y= 2x and y = x^2 + 3x - 6.
    I found the points of intersection to be x= -3, 2 by setting the equations equal to each other and solving for x.
    I concluded that y = x^2+3x-6 is bigger since I tried a point in between the points of intersection and it came out to be greater.

2. Relevant equations
    y =2x
    y= x^2+3x-6
    x= -3, 2

3. The attempt at a solution
    I tried integrating x^2+3x-6 dx from -3 to 2. But it doesn't work. What am I doing wrong?
    I also tried separating the integrals and integrating from -3 to 0, and from 0 to 2, but doesn't seem to work either. The back of my book says that the answer should be 81/32 but I don't know how they got there. Help!
    Thanks!

2. jcsd
  3. Apr 5, 2015 #2
    Forgot to mention it should be integrating x^2+3x-6 - 2x (the other line).

4. Apr 5, 2015 #3

SammyS

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Does this mean that now you do know what to integrate ?

5. Apr 5, 2015 #4

LCKurtz

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Did you try ##x=0##?

6. Apr 5, 2015 #5
    No, why 0 though? Then y= 2x == 0 and the other equation would be -6. Is that what you mean?

7. Apr 5, 2015 #6
    That's what I tried integrating but its not correct according to my book...

8. Apr 5, 2015 #7

LCKurtz

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

The reason I suggested trying ##x=0## is it is the easiest, hence less error-prone, number to try. It might have prevented whatever error you made. You have your upper and lower curves reversed.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted