Registry Editing: Unblocking Antivirus Sites from Virus Infection

• Thread starter chaoseverlasting
  • Start date
In summary: If you can't find a virus in a database or you want to remove a key that is not in a virus database, you can try to remove the key using an administrative tool.
chaoseverlasting
Last year, my comp got infected by a virus (cant remember which one), but one thing it did was to block all antivirus websites by editing the registry. I got rid of the virus, but I was wondering if anyone here knew how to do that. I've tried googling it, but I just get links to software websites. I wish I knew the virus name, I could have found out what reg key it was editing.

Technology news on Phys.org
chaoseverlasting said:
Last year, my comp got infected by a virus (cant remember which one), but one thing it did was to block all antivirus websites by editing the registry. I got rid of the virus, but I was wondering if anyone here knew how to do that. I've tried googling it, but I just get links to software websites. I wish I knew the virus name, I could have found out what reg key it was editing.
Have you tried over-riding it in the browser - tools/Internet Options/Security/Trusted sites ?

Try looking here - http://www.winguides.com/registry/

http://www.winguides.com/forums/

Last edited:
Instead of using the registry you can edit the hosts file on your pc:

http://www.mvps.org/winhelp2002/hosts.htm

you can point all unwated sites to the localhost.

I'm not sure, are you asking how to edit the registry through an external program? This is highly dependant on what language you wish to use. It's very simple in something like Python. So which language?

If that's not your question, what was it? You wanted to find out what registry keys the virus was editing? I have a program for that too. I don't quite understand what you want at the moment though.

Sane said:
I'm not sure, are you asking how to edit the registry through an external program? This is highly dependant on what language you wish to use. It's very simple in something like Python.

Also in any language which can make API calls.

If you want to remove a registry key placed by a virus the best bet is to look up that virus in a virus database. Many databases have links to fixes and descriptions of exactly what a virus does.

What is registry editing?

Registry editing is the process of making changes to the Windows registry, which is a database that stores important settings and configurations for the operating system and installed programs. It is a powerful tool that can be used to customize and optimize your computer's performance.

Why do I need to unblock antivirus sites from virus infection?

Antivirus sites are essential for protecting your computer from viruses and other malware. However, some viruses may block access to these sites in an attempt to prevent you from downloading or updating antivirus software. By unblocking these sites through registry editing, you can ensure that you have the most up-to-date protection for your computer.

Is registry editing safe?

Registry editing can be safe as long as you follow proper guidelines and precautions. It is recommended to create a backup of your registry before making any changes and to only edit specific keys or values that you are familiar with. Making incorrect changes to the registry can cause system instability and potentially harm your computer.

What are the steps for unblocking antivirus sites through registry editing?

The steps for unblocking antivirus sites may vary depending on your specific antivirus software and operating system. However, in general, you will need to access the registry editor, navigate to the specific key or value that is blocking the antivirus site, and change its data or permissions to allow access. It is always recommended to follow a reliable guide or seek assistance from a professional if you are unsure.

Are there any alternative methods for unblocking antivirus sites?

Yes, there are alternative methods for unblocking antivirus sites. Some antivirus software may have built-in tools or options for unblocking blocked sites. You can also try using a different web browser or temporarily disabling your antivirus software to access the blocked site. However, if these methods do not work, registry editing may be necessary.