Regression Analysis: Most Sophisticated Methods & Least Squares

In summary, the most commonly used method for regression analysis is least squares, which is based on the assumption of normality of errors and is familiar to many people. It can also be used for both linear and logistic problems, but there are more efficient methods available for these types of analysis. There are also other methods such as rank-based algorithms and M-estimation, but these do not use least squares. Additionally, least squares cannot be considered robust and should not be used for robust regression.
Diffy
What are the most sophisticated methods of performing regression analysis and how does least squares rank among them? Additionally which category would the least squares method fit into below (if any):
Simple, Multiple, Non-linear, Robust, Ridge, Logistic

Thanks,

-Diffy

Mathematics news on Phys.org
I'm not sure what you mean by "most sophisticated"? Many of the most robust methods require intensive calculations - is this what you mean? Least squares is probably the
method we use most often for these (and possibly other) reasons:
  • It is the oldest method
  • It is based on the assumption of normality of errors, although this can be relaxed (asymptotically, as long as the errors are not to badly behaved, and as long as the design matrix satisfies certain conditions, Huber's condition being the most widely known)
  • People are familiar with it, and virtually every bit of software that performs regression implements least squares

Linear regression can, depending on the person using the term, be the name given to Simple Linear Regression or Multiple Linear Regression, but the name does not automatically imply the calculations are performed with least squares. You can use methods based on ranks or M-estimation (both minimize some function of the residuals to obtain estimates, just not the sum of the squared residuals) and others are possible.
There is no way that the least squares method could ever be considered robust so it doesn't fit in there. I refer to classical least squares here: some rank-based algorithms begin with a "scoring" for the residuals, then use least squares on what is, in essence, transformed data, to finish. The same is true for some M-estimation procedures)
You could solve non-linear and logistic problems with the method of least squares - but more efficient ways exist.

statdad said:
I'm not sure what you mean by "most sophisticated"? Many of the most robust methods require intensive calculations - is this what you mean?

Well, I guess I mean most robust... but I am not quite sure what that means either :tongue:

But seriously thanks for your reply. I was just looking for a little bit of an explanation and some info. And you provided me with both.

But seriously thanks for your reply
You are welcome - not many people offer thanks here.

You can google robust regression - just stay away from Wikipedia - I have little regard for the mathematics that gets posted there (my grad degrees are in statistics and mathematics).
Good luck with further investigations.

1. What is regression analysis?

Regression analysis is a statistical method used to examine the relationship between one or more independent variables and a dependent variable. It is used to predict the value of the dependent variable based on the values of the independent variables.

2. What are the most sophisticated methods used in regression analysis?

The most sophisticated methods used in regression analysis include multiple linear regression, polynomial regression, and logistic regression. These methods allow for more complex relationships between variables and can handle non-linear relationships.

3. What is the least squares method in regression analysis?

The least squares method is a technique used to estimate the parameters of a regression model by minimizing the sum of the squared differences between the actual values and the predicted values. It is the most commonly used method in regression analysis and is based on the principle of finding the line of best fit.

4. How is regression analysis used in practical applications?

Regression analysis is used in a variety of practical applications, such as market research, finance, and healthcare. It can be used to analyze the relationship between advertising spending and sales, predict stock prices, and identify risk factors for diseases.

5. What are the limitations of regression analysis?

Regression analysis has several limitations, including the assumption of linearity between variables, the possibility of overfitting the data, and the presence of outliers that can affect the results. It also cannot establish causality, only correlation, and may not be suitable for all types of data. It is important to carefully consider these limitations when using regression analysis in research or decision-making.