1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Regression line on origin

1. May 23, 2017 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

A random sample of size ##n## from a bivariate distribution is denoted by ##(x_r,y_r), r=1,2,3,...,n##. Show that if the regression line of ##y## on ##x## passes through the origin of its scatter diagram then

$$\bar y \sum^n_{r=1} x_r^2=\bar x\sum^n_{r=1} x_r y_r$$ where ## (\bar x,\bar y)## is the mean point of the sample.

I don't really know how to begin. I am aware the line equation is $$b=\frac{y}{x}=\frac{\sum xy-\frac{\sum x\sum y}{n}}{\sum x^2-\frac{(\sum x)^2}{n}}$$

Not sure what to do next.

Last edited by a moderator: May 24, 2017
  2. jcsd
  3. May 23, 2017 #2

Ray Vickson

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

(1) Do not write ##\xbar##, write ##\bar{x}##. Right-click on the formula to see its TeX commands.
    Mod note: Fixed the TeX in the original post and above.
    (2) What can you say about the data if the least-squares line has intercept ##a## equal to zero?

Last edited by a moderator: May 24, 2017
  4. May 23, 2017 #3
    Y is proportional to X

5. May 23, 2017 #4

Ray Vickson

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

That answer is not useful. Take the formula for ##a##, in terms of ##(x_i,y_i)##, and set it to zero. What do you get?

6. May 24, 2017 #5

SammyS

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

I suppose the that the linear model you are working with is: ##\ \displaystyle y=a+bx\ ##.

You have the correct expression for finding the linear coefficient, ##\ b\,.\ ##( Leave out the ##\ \displaystyle \frac yx\ ## ).

It seems to me that you must also consider the expression for ##\ a\,.\ ## Then show that if ##\ a=0\,,\ ## then you obtain the desired result:
    ##\displaystyle \bar y \sum^n_{r=1} x_r^2=\bar x\sum^n_{r=1} x_r y_r ##​

Last edited: May 25, 2017
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted