Regression Model Homework: E(Y)=Xθ, Cov(Y)=σ2W - 65 Chars

In summary, the conversation discusses a regression model for independent observations that can be modeled as ##Y_i = i(\theta+\epsilon_i)## with ##\epsilon_i \sim N(0,\sigma^2)##. The model can be written as ##E(Y) = X\theta## and ##\text{Cov}(Y) = \sigma^2W## for matrices ##X## and ##W##. The conversation also shows that ##X^TW^{-1}X = n## and the least squares estimate for ##\theta## is given by ##\hat{\theta} = \frac{1}{n}\sum_{i=1}^{n} \frac{Y_i}{i}##
squenshl

Homework Statement

Suppose that we observe ##i=1,2,\ldots,n## independent observations that can be modeled as follows:
$$Y_i = i(\theta+\epsilon_i) \quad \text{where} \; \; \epsilon_i \sim N(0,\sigma^2).$$

1. Write the above as a regression model, ##E(Y) = X\theta##, ##\text{Cov}(Y) = \sigma^2W## for matrices ##X## and ##W##.

2. Show that ##X^TW^{-1}X = n##.

3. Show that the least squares estimate for ##\theta## is given by
$$\hat{\theta} = \frac{1}{n}\sum_{i=1}^{n} \frac{Y_i}{i}.$$

Consider the following transformation: ##Z_i = \frac{Y_i}{i}.##

4. Show the transformed model can be written as a regression model,
$$E(Z) = 1_n\theta, \quad \text{Cov}(Z) = \sigma^2I_n$$
where ##1_n## is a column vector of ##1##s and ##I_n## is an identity matrix of dimension ##n##.

5. Show that the least squares estimate from this model is exactly the same as the solution from part c).

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

I have no idea about this question. I get the matrix
$$X = \begin{bmatrix}
1 \\
2 \\
\vdots \\
n
\end{bmatrix}$$ but not sure on ##W##. Once I can get this I can pretty much do the rest.

Please help!

Physics news on Phys.org
Never mind I got it but as usual your help was appreciated!

1. What is the purpose of using a regression model?

The purpose of using a regression model is to analyze the relationship between a dependent variable (Y) and one or more independent variables (X) in order to make predictions or identify patterns in the data.

2. How is the regression model represented mathematically?

The regression model is represented as E(Y) = Xθ, where E(Y) is the expected value of the dependent variable, X is the matrix of independent variables, and θ is the vector of coefficients.

3. What does Cov(Y) = σ2W mean in a regression model?

Cov(Y) = σ2W represents the variance of the dependent variable (Y) which is explained by the independent variables (X). σ2W is the covariance matrix of the errors or residuals in the regression model.

4. How is the regression model used to make predictions?

The regression model uses the estimated coefficients (θ) to calculate the expected value of the dependent variable (Y) for a given set of independent variables (X). This predicted value can then be compared to the actual value of Y to assess the accuracy of the model.

5. What are the assumptions of a regression model?

The assumptions of a regression model include linearity, independence of errors, homoscedasticity (constant variance of errors), and normality of errors. Violations of these assumptions can affect the accuracy and reliability of the model.