Regret not taking high-school seriously

• Schools
  • Thread starter Apple_Mango
  • Start date
Let's get back to the topic.In summary, the conversation revolves around the regret of not taking high school seriously and the realization of its importance later in life. The speaker shares their plan for what they would have done differently in high school if given the chance. The conversation also touches on the importance of math classes for STEM careers and the idea of aiming higher than just passing grades. Despite some misunderstandings and minor arguments, the conversation ultimately focuses on moving forward and working hard towards achieving one's goals.
Apple_Mango
Hello, I regret not taking high-school seriously. I had no idea how much of an impact It would have on my future. I thought high-school was a joke and never took it seriously. However, I learned later on how high-school was really important and should had taken it seriously. If I had to do my last of high-school all over again, I would had taken Alg 1 in the summer, alg 2 and geometry for the rest of the two semesters, and pre-cal in the summer. I would had been close enough for cal 1 and been successful.

Physics news on Phys.org
So, how old are you now? Even when you are 85, it is never too late to learn from your mistakes and do what you should perhaps have done earlier. It's no use crying over spilled milk.

You are by far young enough to give your life any direction you want, of course within the boundaries posed by your health, intellect and wealth. Just get busy! :smile:

Yeah anyways, when I was in school, I had no idea what was the point of doing math. Honestly, I thought math was just a prerequisite to pass high-school similar to taking P.E and art class. However, it's quite clear to me math classes were to train people for STEM careers later on.

Hey, no shame in blowing off high school. It sure made college tougher for me than it had to be.

Forward and onward. Gonna take hard work, but anything worth having is worth working hard for.

So what exactly are you asking? Plenty of people realize what you are now realizing in their 30s, and still go back to school. What is stopping you?

Likes Dr. Courtney
Nothing is stopping me. I just finished my first semester and passed all five of my classes. I'm on-going to second.

Likes symbolipoint
Apple_Mango said:
Nothing is stopping me. I just finished my first semester and passed all five of my classes. I'm on-going to second.

Passed? Aim higher.

Dr. Courtney said:
Passed? Aim higher.
What are you talking about?

Apple_Mango said:
I just finished my first semester and passed all five of my classes.

Dr. Courtney said:
Passed? Aim higher.

Apple_Mango said:
What are you talking about?
@Dr. Courtney means you should aim higher than merely passing the courses.

Likes symbolipoint
Mark44 said:
@Dr. Courtney means you should aim higher than merely passing the courses.

Yep. With grade inflation, a 2.x GPA is a ticket to the unemployment line.

Dr. Courtney said:
Yep. With grade inflation, a 2.x GPA is a ticket to the unemployment line.
I don't know how you think I got by with a low grade on the classes I passed. I got all A and one C. The C was in public speaking which is my greatness weakness.

Do you think because I said I passed my classes that I got a low grade? No, I didn't. Your comment took me the longest time to decipher.

Likes symbolipoint
Apple_Mango said:
I don't know how you think I got by with a low grade on the classes I passed. I got all A and one C. The C was in public speaking which is my greatness weakness.

Do you think because I said I passed my classes that I got a low grade? No, I didn't. Your comment took me the longest time to decipher.
Maybe you should read it again. It was a general helpful piece of advice, not a personal attack to you. You should work on your "deciphering" skills.

DS2C said:
Maybe you should read it again. It was a general helpful piece of advice, not a personal attack to you. You should work on your "deciphering" skills.
Where did you think I thought his comment was a personal attack? All I said his comment took me the longest time to figure out. I looked his comment in the morning and later in the afternoon and did not know what he meant.

Apple_Mango said:
Where did you think I thought his comment was a personal attack? All I said his comment took me the longest time to figure out. I looked his comment in the morning and later in the afternoon and did not know what he meant.
Guess it's just your personality. Every post you make you come off as an argumentative smart ass. You ever think to just take someone's experienced advice and not try to get the last word? Food for thought.

DS2C said:
Guess it's just your personality. Every post you make you come off as an argumentative smart ass. You ever think to just take someone's experienced advice and not try to get the last word? Food for thought.
People are misreading and misinterpreting. A little detail is missed; another little detail does not get restated, and suddenly people read messages and misunderstand and get irritated.

Likes Apple_Mango
Apple_Mango said:
I just finished my first semester and passed all five of my classes

Apple_Mango said:
I don't know how you think I got by with a low grade on the classes I passed.
We're going by what you wrote. When you say "I ... passed all five of my classes" all we can conclude is that you got grades of at least D.

Apple_Mango said:
Do you think because I said I passed my classes that I got a low grade?
That's exactly what we thought.

Okay when the user said that I passed, what he meant by the term passed is that he thought I passed with a C. The word passed is a terminology in school meaning that people got by with a C. I was confused when he assume that I "passed" and got Cs. His comment took me a long time to figure out because I do not equate with the term "passing" equals a C. I do not aim for Cs. I always try to get the highest grade. Trying to get Cs is risky because you're close to a letter grade to failing. Thankgodness for curves.

Now enough of this small squabble.

Last edited by a moderator:
Mark44 said:
We're going by what you wrote. When you say "I ... passed all five of my classes" all we can conclude is that you got grades of at least D.

That's exactly what we thought.
Letter grade of "D", is officially described as "passing" but for all practicality, it is as good as "F" for "failed". The letter grade of C is what indicates that student learned something 'probably' or 'at least well enough to continue'.

Likes Athena ashford

1. How does not taking high-school seriously affect my future?

Not taking high-school seriously can have a significant impact on your future. It can limit your options for higher education and career opportunities. It may also affect your ability to develop important skills, such as time management and critical thinking, that are necessary for success in any field.

2. Will regretting not taking high-school seriously help me in any way?

Regret is a natural feeling, but it is important to channel it into positive actions. Use your regret as motivation to work harder and make the most out of your current opportunities. It can also serve as a valuable lesson for the future, reminding you to take your education seriously and not take it for granted.

3. Is it too late to make up for not taking high-school seriously?

It is never too late to make up for past mistakes. There are many options available, such as enrolling in a GED program or taking online courses to improve your knowledge and skills. You can also seek guidance from a mentor or counselor to help you develop a plan for success.

4. How can I overcome the feeling of regret for not taking high-school seriously?

It is important to acknowledge and accept your feelings of regret, but do not let them consume you. Instead, focus on the present and future and take action towards achieving your goals. Surround yourself with positive influences and stay motivated by reminding yourself of your potential and the opportunities that are still available to you.

5. Can not taking high-school seriously have any long-term consequences?

Yes, not taking high-school seriously can have long-term consequences. It can limit your job prospects and earning potential, and it may also affect your personal and social life. In addition, it can lead to feelings of regret and disappointment, which can impact your mental health. Therefore, it is important to take your education seriously and make the most out of your opportunities.