Regular and irregular points?

In summary, the given differential equation has one regular singular point at x = 0 and two irregular singular points at x = 1 ± √2.
Rijad Hadzic

Homework Statement

Determine singular points of given DE. Classify as regular or irregular

[itex] (x^3 -2x^2 + 3x)^2 y'' + x(x-3)^2 y' + (-x-1)y = 0 [/itex]

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

From the polynomial infront of y'' I get

[itex] x^2 (x^2 -2x + 3)^2 [/itex]

right out of the bat I can see that x = 0 is going to be a regular point.

the zeros of [itex] x^2 -2x +3 = 1\frac +- \frac {8^{1/2}}{2} [/itex]

so since the denominator of y' will have [itex] x^2 -2x +3 = 1\frac +- \frac {8^{1/2}}{2} [/itex] to the second power, can I say that [itex] x^2 -2x +3 = 1\frac +- \frac {8^{1/2}}{2} [/itex] are the irregular points then?

Physics news on Phys.org
Rijad Hadzic said:

Homework Statement

Determine singular points of given DE. Classify as regular or irregular

[itex] (x^3 -2x^2 + 3x)^2 y'' + x(x-3)^2 y' + (-x-1)y = 0 [/itex]

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

From the polynomial infront of y'' I get

[itex] x^2 (x^2 -2x + 3)^2 [/itex]

right out of the bat I can see that x = 0 is going to be a regular point.

the zeros of [itex] x^2 -2x +3 = 1\frac +- \frac {8^{1/2}}{2} [/itex]

so since the denominator of y' will have [itex] x^2 -2x +3 = 1\frac +- \frac {8^{1/2}}{2} [/itex] to the second power, can I say that [itex] x^2 -2x +3 = 1\frac +- \frac {8^{1/2}}{2} [/itex] are the irregular points then?
It is not correct to say ##x^2 -2x +3 = 1 \pm\frac {8^{1/2}}{2}##. I think what you mean is ##x^2 -2x +3 = (x-1 + \frac {8^{1/2}}{2})(x-1 - \frac {8^{1/2}}{2})##. That is still not right, though, because you have made a mistake in solving for the roots of ##x^2-2x+3##.

1. What is the difference between regular and irregular points?

Regular points are points that follow a consistent pattern and can be easily predicted or modeled. Irregular points, on the other hand, do not follow a specific pattern and can be more difficult to predict or model.

2. How can regular and irregular points be identified?

Regular points can be identified by looking for a consistent pattern, such as evenly spaced data points. Irregular points can be identified by a lack of pattern or by the presence of outliers.

3. What are some examples of regular and irregular points in science?

An example of regular points in science could be the periodic table of elements, where each element follows a consistent pattern based on its atomic structure. An example of irregular points could be the distribution of earthquakes around the world, as they do not follow a specific pattern and can occur in unexpected locations.

4. How do regular and irregular points affect data analysis?

Regular points can make data analysis and modeling easier, as they follow a consistent pattern and can be more easily predicted. Irregular points can make data analysis more complex, as they may require special techniques to account for outliers or unexpected patterns.

5. Can regular and irregular points exist together?

Yes, regular and irregular points can coexist in a dataset. It is common for data to have both regular and irregular points, and it is important for scientists to identify and account for both types in their analysis.