Understanding Regular and Outgoing Functions in Vector Spherical Wave Functions

In summary, the conversation discusses the concept of regular and outgoing functions in relation to the vector spherical wave function. These functions are used to determine whether a wave is incoming or outgoing when solving wave equations. The paper referenced in the conversation provides more information on these functions.
OKY
I am reading reasearch paper about electrodynamic wave.

In the paper, there is a following description
1. regular function
2. outgoing function

They seem to be related to vector spherical wave function.

What is the "regular function" and "outgoing function"?

I would like to know the book in which I can understand about them.

Best regards

Physics news on Phys.org
Could you show us the paper? A context would be valuable.

When you solve the wave equation (any wave equation - scalar, vector, etc) you must set a boundary condition that says whether the wave is incoming or outgoing. The simplest example is the scalar wave equation with spherical symmetry,

1/r ∂2/∂r2 (rφ) - 1/c22φ/∂t2 = 0

The solutions are φ(r,t) = A/r exp i(kx + ωt) + B/r exp i(kx - ωt). If you choose the + sign, the solution is incoming. The - sign is an outgoing solution. Both of them are singular at r = 0, but the solution with A = -B is regular there.

Polyrhythmic said:
Could you show us the paper? A context would be valuable.

The paper (manual document) can be obtained from
the link to "manual" in the below web site.
http://eng.auburn.edu/users/dmckwski/scatcodes/

Around page 4 and 5, they use "regular" and "outgoing".

Thank you in advance.

Bill_K said:
When you solve the wave equation (any wave equation - scalar, vector, etc) you must set a boundary condition that says whether the wave is incoming or outgoing. The simplest example is the scalar wave equation with spherical symmetry,

1/r ∂2/∂r2 (rφ) - 1/c22φ/∂t2 = 0

The solutions are φ(r,t) = A/r exp i(kx + ωt) + B/r exp i(kx - ωt). If you choose the + sign, the solution is incoming. The - sign is an outgoing solution. Both of them are singular at r = 0, but the solution with A = -B is regular there.

Thank you very much for the detailed reply.

So, is the "regular" same as "incoming" wave? Why they call "regular"?

What is a regular function?

A regular function is a type of mathematical function that has a fixed input and output. It means that for a given input, the same output will be obtained every time the function is evaluated. This type of function is also called a deterministic function.

What is an outgoing function?

An outgoing function is a type of mathematical function that has a variable input and output. It means that for a given input, the output may vary each time the function is evaluated. This type of function is also called a non-deterministic function.

What is the difference between a regular and outgoing function?

The main difference between these two types of functions is the predictability of their outputs. A regular function will always produce the same output for a given input, while an outgoing function may produce different outputs for the same input. Regular functions are often used in mathematical and scientific calculations, while outgoing functions are more commonly seen in computer programming and simulations.

Why are regular and outgoing functions important?

Regular and outgoing functions are important because they are fundamental building blocks of mathematics and computer science. They allow us to model and understand complex systems and phenomena, and are used in a wide range of applications such as physics, engineering, economics, and more. By understanding the properties and behaviors of these functions, we can make accurate predictions and solve real-world problems.

What are some examples of regular and outgoing functions?

Some examples of regular functions include linear equations, quadratic equations, and trigonometric functions. Outgoing functions include random number generators, weather simulation models, and machine learning algorithms. Both types of functions are used extensively in various fields of science and technology.