Regular matter and dark matter

In summary, the conversation discusses the concept of subatomic particles being waves of probability and the possibility of them appearing in higher dimensional space. The question is raised about whether regular matter and dark matter could be the same thing, with the latter having a higher probability of appearing in extradimensional space due to being unaffected by gravity. The conversation also mentions the potential implications for the conservation of mass.
raid1000
Hello, glad to be able to post my question ^^
ok I'm no scientist and I haven't looket at the math of quantum mechanics and such but i get the general idea that subatomic particles (like electrons) are like waves of probability, that they are more likely to pop "in and out of existence" in one area of space than in another (like in electron shells).
Does this math account for "extra dimensionability", like particles have the probability to pop in 3D space, but could they pop in higher dimensional space as well?
What I'm trying to say is that maybe regular matter and dark matter could be the same thing? particles could pop in 3D space (regular matter) but maybe have a way higher probability to pop in extradimensional space (dark matter) which whe can't see cause of electromagnetism being 3Dimensional force.
Can the math work that way? or i did i screw up something as basic as conservation of mass? xD

Space news on Phys.org
Dark matter is different from regular matter in one major respect. It is not effected in any way by anything by gravity.

1. What is regular matter?

Regular matter, also known as baryonic matter, is the type of matter that makes up everyday objects and living organisms. This includes atoms, molecules, and larger structures like planets and stars. It is composed of particles such as protons, neutrons, and electrons.

2. What is dark matter?

Dark matter is a type of matter that does not interact with light, making it invisible to telescopes and other instruments. Its existence is inferred through its gravitational effects on visible matter. It is believed to make up about 85% of the total matter in the universe.

3. How is dark matter different from regular matter?

Dark matter and regular matter differ in several ways. Firstly, dark matter does not interact with light while regular matter does. Additionally, dark matter is believed to be more abundant in the universe compared to regular matter. Finally, the particles that make up dark matter are still unknown, while regular matter is composed of known particles.

4. What is the current understanding of the relationship between regular matter and dark matter?

The current understanding is that regular matter and dark matter coexist and interact through gravity. Regular matter, being more abundant, provides the structure for galaxies and other large-scale structures, while dark matter provides the gravitational pull that holds these structures together.

5. How is the study of regular matter and dark matter important?

The study of regular matter and dark matter is important because it helps us understand the composition and structure of the universe. It also helps us in understanding the formation of galaxies and other large-scale structures. Additionally, understanding dark matter can potentially lead to breakthroughs in physics and technology.