Counterexample to the Theorem on Nowhere Dense Sets in a Complete Metric Space

In summary, the theorem is saying that if a sequence of nowhere dense sets exists in a complete metric space, then there is a point in the space which is not in any of the sets. However, if the space is changed so that each set has only one point, then the theorem no longer holds.
symbol0
Hi, I read the following theorem in a book:
If {[tex]A_n[/tex]} is a sequence of nowhere dense sets in a complete metric space X, then there exists a point in X which is not in any of the [tex]A_n[/tex]'s.

But what if I say X={1,1/2,1/3, ...} [tex]\cup[/tex] {0} with the regular metric d(x,y)=|x-y|, and [tex]A_n[/tex]={1/n,0}.
Why wouldn't this be a counterexample?
As I see it, X is a complete metric space, each [tex]A_n[/tex] is nowhere dense, and their union equals X.

Physics news on Phys.org

An is dense at 1/n

I don't understand what you mean by "An is dense at 1/n ".
The definition I have is: A subset S of a metric space is said to be nowhere dense if its closure has empty interior.
The closure of each set in the sequence I propose, {1/n,0}, is the set itself. These sets have empty interiors because 1/n and 0 are not interior points of {1/n,0}.

symbol0 said:
1/n and 0 are not interior points of {1/n,0}.
Why not?

Because no open ball centered at 1/n or 0 belongs to {1/n,0}

symbol0 said:
Because no open ball centered at 1/n or 0 belongs to {1/n,0}
Are you sure about that? What about the one with radius 1/(2n)?

A ball of radius 1/2n would contain points that are not in the set. For example, take the set {1/3,0}. A ball of radius 1/6 centered at 1/3 would contain the point 1/4 which is not in {1/3,0}. So the ball does not belong to the set. The same goes for all sets {1/n,0}.

symbol0 said:
A ball of radius 1/6 centered at 1/3 would contain the point 1/4 which is not in {1/3,0}.
Hrm. Yep, I made an error. But it is obvious how to fix my statement, right?

I think I see now why the points 1/n and 0 are interior points of each set.
The problem was that all this time I've been under the assumption that a set with only one point could not be an open ball (this happens when the metric space is [tex]\mathbb{R}[/tex], but it does not happen in a metric space like the one I am proposing). So if I center balls at 1/n and 0 with a very small radius, then the only point of the ball that is inside the set will be the center of the each ball. So the ball is inside the set (it does not matter that the ball has only one point).
Thus 1/n and 0 are interior points.
So the sequence I proposed is NOT a sequence of nowhere dense sets.

Am I right?

symbol0 said:
So if I center balls at 1/n and 0 with a very small radius, then the only point of the ball that is inside the set will be the center of the each ball.
Correct for 1/n. Incorrect for 0. (Every ball, no matter how small of a radius, does contain another point) While 1/n is, 0 is not an interior point of any of your sets.

That's right Hurkyl.
Thanks for your help.

What is regular metric d(x,y)=|x-y|?

Regular metric d(x,y)=|x-y| is a distance metric that measures the distance between two points, x and y, on a number line. It is also known as the absolute value metric.

What are the properties of regular metric d(x,y)=|x-y|?

Regular metric d(x,y)=|x-y| has three properties: non-negativity (d(x,y) is always greater than or equal to zero), symmetry (d(x,y) = d(y,x)), and the triangle inequality (d(x,y) ≤ d(x,z) + d(z,y) for any three points x, y, and z).

How is regular metric d(x,y)=|x-y| different from other distance metrics?

Regular metric d(x,y)=|x-y| is different from other distance metrics because it only considers the absolute difference between two points, rather than taking into account the individual values of the points. This means that it is not affected by the direction or sign of the points.

What are some real-life applications of regular metric d(x,y)=|x-y|?

Regular metric d(x,y)=|x-y| can be used in a variety of real-life applications, such as measuring the distance between two points on a map, calculating the difference in temperature between two locations, or determining the difference in time between two events.

How is regular metric d(x,y)=|x-y| used in mathematics and science?

In mathematics and science, regular metric d(x,y)=|x-y| is used to calculate the distance between two points on a number line, as well as to prove theorems and solve problems involving distances and differences between values.