Regular Transformation Homework: Definition & Interpretation

The author is asking for clarification on whether or not regular transformations can also be interpreted as passive transformations. They are concerned that if they do not fully understand the concept of regular transformations, they may misunderstand other related concepts in the book.
gotjrgkr

Homework Statement

Hi!
i want to ask somebody who are studying quantum mechanics about the definition of regular
transformation. I guess there might be people who are not familiar with the notion. So, i'd like to let you know which book I'm referring to; "principles of quantum mechanics" , shankar.
In sec.2.7,2.8 of the book, the concept of regular transformation is introduced (more precisely please, refer to p. 97-p.98). It describes the notion of regular transformation with two other concepts passive trans. and active trans. . It says if we restrict the range of functions transforming points from a phase space to another one to those functions preserving the ranges of the domain and the range of each function, we say such functions(or transformation ) as regular transformation.
What I want to know is whether such a transformation (regular trans.) involves passive transformation or not . Does it only imply active transformation? or is it also possible to be interpreted as passive transformation? For those people who think the latter is also possible, how can you interpret the words written in p. 103 ? You can find a sentence " but, it is an active transformation" in the third line from the bottom. I thought the word " it " there implies regular transformation. However, considering the whole stories back and forth of the page 103, I expect that the meaning of "it" there must be interpreted as "the problem".
In fact, I'm not a native speaker. I have a difficulty to interpret some sentences. I'm really sorry to ask you about this trivial stuff, but I thought that if I pass this part ignoring those concepts, then I expect I'm going to misunderstand lots of concepts following the chapter2 (especially, those parts of the book dealing with conservation, symmetry in chatper 11,12)
So, please help me. I would really appreciate your helps. Thank you for reading my long questions!

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

Physics news on Phys.org
A regular transformation is one that preserves the ranges of the domain and range of each function. This means that it does not involve any passive transformations, but only active transformations. The sentence "but, it is an active transformation" on page 103 is referring to the regular transformation, as it is the only type of transformation mentioned in the context of the sentence.

1. What is regular transformation homework?

Regular transformation homework is a type of homework assigned to students in science courses, particularly in subjects such as physics and chemistry. It involves solving problems or performing calculations related to the transformation or conversion of units, such as converting from meters to feet or from grams to moles.

2. Why is regular transformation homework important?

Regular transformation homework is important because it helps students develop critical thinking and problem-solving skills. It also allows them to practice and improve their understanding of unit conversions, which are essential in scientific calculations.

3. How is regular transformation homework graded?

The grading of regular transformation homework varies depending on the teacher or institution. However, it typically involves assigning points for correct answers and may also take into account the steps and methods used to arrive at the answer.

4. What are some common mistakes students make in regular transformation homework?

Some common mistakes students make in regular transformation homework include using incorrect conversion factors, forgetting to label units in the final answer, and performing calculations with the wrong number of significant figures. It is essential to double-check all steps and pay attention to units and significant figures to avoid these mistakes.

5. How can I improve my performance on regular transformation homework?

To improve your performance on regular transformation homework, it is essential to practice regularly and ask for help when needed. Make sure to understand the basic concepts and formulas involved in unit conversions and pay attention to units and significant figures. It can also be helpful to work in a study group or seek additional resources, such as online tutorials or textbooks.