Integrability & Differentiability of a Function: Implications for Derivatives

• Thread starter bruno67
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Condition
In summary, if a function is both integrable and infinitely differentiable, it implies that its derivatives are also integrable. This is because the boundary term in the integration by parts formula disappears due to the integrability of the function. Even if the function oscillates rapidly, the proof still holds.
bruno67
A function f is both integrable and infinitely differentiable, i.e. [itex]f\in L_1(\mathbb{R}) \cap C^{\infty}(\mathbb{R})[/itex]. Is it correct to say that this implies that the derivatives of f are also in [itex]L_1(\mathbb{R})[/itex]? My reasoning: we have [itex]I<\infty[/itex], where

[tex]I=\int_{-\infty}^{\infty} f(x) dx = [x f(x)]_{-\infty}^{\infty} - \int_{-\infty}^{\infty} xf'(x) dx = - \int_{-\infty}^{\infty} xf'(x) dx[/tex]
where the boundary term disappears because, since f is integrable, we must have [itex]f(x) =O(x^{-1-\alpha})[/itex] for [itex]|x|\to \infty[/itex], for some [itex]\alpha>0[/itex]. Hence [itex]f'(x)=O(x^{-2-\alpha})[/itex], and in general [itex]f^{(n)}(x)=O(x^{-n-1-\alpha})[/itex], for [itex]|x|\to \infty[/itex].

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
What about a function that oscillates really fast?? Its derivative will be very large.

micromass said:
What about a function that oscillates really fast?? Its derivative will be very large.

Even in that case, I can't find an error with my proof.

1. What is the difference between integrability and differentiability of a function?

Integrability and differentiability are two different concepts that describe a function's behavior. Integrability refers to a function's ability to be integrated, or finding the area under its curve. Differentiability, on the other hand, refers to a function's ability to have a derivative at a certain point. In simpler terms, integrability is about the function's overall behavior, while differentiability focuses on its behavior at a specific point.

2. Can a function be integrable but not differentiable?

Yes, a function can be integrable without being differentiable. This can happen when a function has a sharp corner or a discontinuity at a certain point. In this case, the function can still have an area under its curve, making it integrable, but it does not have a derivative at that point, making it not differentiable.

3. How does the integrability of a function affect its derivatives?

The integrability of a function does not directly affect its derivatives. However, if a function is not integrable, it means that it does not have a finite area under its curve, which can affect the behavior of its derivatives. For example, if a function has a vertical asymptote, it is not integrable, and its derivative will have a vertical tangent at that point.

4. What is the relationship between continuity and differentiability?

Continuity and differentiability are closely related concepts. A function is differentiable at a point if it is continuous at that point. This means that if a function is not continuous at a certain point, it cannot have a derivative at that point. However, a function can be continuous at a point without being differentiable at that point.

5. How do integrability and differentiability affect the rate of change of a function?

The integrability and differentiability of a function can affect its rate of change differently. A function that is differentiable at a point has a well-defined instantaneous rate of change at that point, while a function that is not differentiable at a point does not have a well-defined instantaneous rate of change at that point. On the other hand, the integrability of a function does not directly affect its rate of change, but it can affect the behavior of its derivatives, which can indirectly affect its rate of change.