1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Homework Help: Regulated functions

1. Jan 21, 2010 #1

C.E

1 Show that the product of two regulated functions is regulated.

2. A function is regulated if it is the limit of a sequence of step functions.

3. I let f,g be regulated and let a_n, b_n tend to f, g respectivley. I can show that for any x, a_n (x) . b_n (x) tends to f(x).g(x) (i.e. pointwise convergence). Is this sufficient or do I need to show uniform convergence? If so how do I go about it?

2. jcsd
  3. Jan 21, 2010 #2
    You do need to show uniform convergence, since to show [tex]fg[/tex] is a regulated function, you need to exhibit a sequence of step functions converging uniformly to [tex]fg[/tex].

I think one needs some additional information; is the domain a compact closed interval? The function [tex]f(x) = x[/tex], for instance, is not a uniform limit of step functions when you take the domain to be all of [tex]\mathbb{R}[/tex].

Assuming the domain is bounded, think about [tex]\sup_x |f(x)|[/tex] or [tex]\sup_x |g(x)|[/tex].

4. Jan 22, 2010 #3

C.E

Sorry I probably should have said, the two functions f,g are on the closed real interval [a,b] for some real a,b.

Share this great discussion with others via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook