Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Regulation of a Target Gene

1. Jul 17, 2016 #1

Ygggdrasil

Science Advisor

I am studying a particular gene whose expression decreases in certain types of cancer. I'm interested in finding out the mechanisms for this downregulation, specifically, which transcription factors and signalling pathways are involved. I have a hypothesis for the pathway involved, but in case that hypothesis turns out to be incorrect, I want to look into some ways of approaching the problem in an unbiased manner. Here are my thoughts for some starting approaches:

1. Feed the promoter DNA for this gene into a computer program to look for transcription factor binding sites. (This site seems to list a number of resources. Does anyone have experience with any of these?) However, a lot of gene regulation in mammals occurs though distal enhancer sequences. Are there computational or experimental ways to identify enhancers for a target gene?

2. Generate a reporter cell line by placing GFP under the control of my target gene's promoter and perform an siRNA screen to see what perturbations increase/decrease expression of the reporter.

Are there better ways of computationally and/or experimentally approaching this problem? Any suggestions or pointers to helpful references would be appreciated.

Last edited: Jul 17, 2016
  2. jcsd
  3. Jul 22, 2016 #2
    Thanks for the post! This is an automated courtesy bump. Sorry you aren't generating responses at the moment. Do you have any further information, come to any new conclusions or is it possible to reword the post?

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted