1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Reimann Sum with No N term

1. Nov 22, 2013 #1

Qube

Gold Member

1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

Approximate the value of the integral of 6/(1+2x) with respect to x from 0 to 2. Use 4 subintervals of equal width and use the left endpoints.

2. Relevant equations

delta x = (b-a)/N

3. The attempt at a solution

The integral is the sum of 6/(1+i) from i = 0 to i = N-1 or 3 all multiplied by delta x, or 1/2.

This yields:

(1/2)(6 + 3 + 2 + (6/4))

= 3 + 3/2 + 1 + 3/4 = 4 + 1.5 + 0.75 = 5.5 + 0.75 = 6.25 = 25/4.

1) This is correct without the N term in the sum, right? I'm wondering because usually I have to take the limit as N approaches infinity but the N doesn't exist here, since N has already been defined.

2) Also is my work correct in general? I'm still getting a hang of this Reimann sum notation with the indices and n subintervals and the x star notation. I'll have to learn Latex another day!

Last edited: Nov 22, 2013
  2. jcsd
  3. Nov 22, 2013 #2

Dick

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Yes, it's fine. And your work is fine in general. I don't know why you are asking all of these questions. As far as Riemann sums go, you can do a left sum, in which case i=N doesn't appear or a right sum in which case i=0 doesn't appear. These finite sums are just approximations to the true integral which you get by taking N->infinity. In which case it shouldn't matter whether it's left or right or something else.

Last edited: Nov 22, 2013
  4. Nov 22, 2013 #3

Qube

Gold Member

Thanks again! Well, you guys helped me get a perfect score on my last chem test when the average was a 68% and the historic average was in the 50s. I got help here for free while my friends paid for help and still did dismally, or completely failed. I just want to make sure I'm right because I'd like to have a repeat performance on my calculus test! On the last calc test I actually scored over a 100 while the average was in the 70s, thanks again to PF.

Physics Forum is a grade saver! Thanks again to everyone who helped me and keeps helping me :)!

5. Nov 22, 2013 #4

Dick

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Scoring over 100% is certainly worth a mention. At this point you should be getting a little more confident. Congratulations!

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted