Reimann sums, okay. How about a Reimann product ?

In summary, the conversation discusses the concept of a "continuous product" similar to a "continuous sum" or integral. The idea is to let the exponents approach zero while the number of products goes to infinity and the range of x remains fixed. However, it is noted that these products can always be reduced to integrals.
pellman
Reimann sums, okay. How about a "Reimann product"?

An integral is a sort of "continuous sum". Very roughly, the sum Σk f(xk) Δx goes over to the integral ∫f(x)dx when the number of terms becomes infinite while Δx goes to zero.

What about a similar "continuous product"? If we have the product

Πk [f(xk)] Pk

and let the exponents Pk go to zero while the number of products goes to infinite (and the range of xk is fixed as in an integral) what sort of an animal do we get?

I realize that we can turn this product into a sum by taking the anti-logarithm. Then the continuous limit of this product is e raised to an integral with ln(f) in the integrand. However, I'm curious if the properties of these sorts of entities are known without resorting to integrals. And is there a notation for them?

Mathematics news on Phys.org

I don't think you want to let the exponents go to zero; then each factor in the product will approach 1.

I don't know if it's really what you're looking for, but something a little analogous to a "continuous product" is the exponentiation of an element of a Lie algebra to get an element of a Lie group.

As a simple, scalar example, consider the n-fold product of (1+x/n), which is Πn (1+x/n)n. The limit as n goes to infinity is just the function exp(x).

Thanks, Ambitwistor.

Having thought it over, I see now that these products have probably not been studied in themselves since they can always be reduced to an integral. Like so, ..

Πk [f(xk)] Pk
= exp[ ln ( Πk [f(xk)] Pk ) ]
= exp[ Σk Pkf(xk) ]
= exp[ Σk α(xk)f(xk) Δx ] , Pk = α(xk)Δx
--> exp[ ∫ α(x) f(x) dx ]

which shows why I said the exponents go to zero.

What is a Riemann sum?

A Riemann sum is a method of approximating the area under a curve by dividing it into smaller rectangles and finding the sum of their areas. It is an important tool in calculus and can help calculate definite integrals.

What are the different types of Riemann sums?

The three most commonly used types of Riemann sums are left Riemann sums, right Riemann sums, and midpoint Riemann sums. These refer to the location of the sample point within each rectangle used to calculate the sum.

What is the formula for calculating a Riemann sum?

The general formula for a Riemann sum is:
i=1n f(xi)Δx

where n is the number of rectangles, f(xi) is the value of the function at the sample point within each rectangle, and Δx is the width of each rectangle.

What is the purpose of a Riemann sum?

The main purpose of a Riemann sum is to approximate the area under a curve, which can be used to find the value of a definite integral. It is also a useful tool for visualizing and understanding the concept of integration.

What is a Riemann product?

A Riemann product is a similar concept to a Riemann sum, but instead of using rectangles to approximate the area under a curve, it uses rectangles to approximate the volume under a surface. It is an important tool in multivariable calculus.