Reinhold Messner: A True Legend

• Thread starter rhody
  • Start date
In summary, Reinhold Messner is a renowned Italian climber who invented the Alpine Style of climbing and achieved many impressive feats, including the first solo ascent of Mount Everest. He has inspired many others and remains true to himself despite media attention and business ventures. His story has been captured in books and films, and he continues to be recognized as a true example of the spirit of climbing.
rhody
Gold Member
2iik94h.jpg

Long before climbing peaks at or above 8000 meters became the fancy of modern day dreamers and serious climbers alike, there was a young upstart Italian, a dreamer, gifted climber, who invented the Alpine Style of climbing out of necessity, who with fellow climber Peter Habler became the first pair to climb Mt Everest alone without oxygen in 1978. On top of this the final ascent from the South Col to the summit only took them eight hours without oxygen, whereas climbers today with oxygen take at least twelve. They did not have a team of sherpas to carry their food, water tents, and sleeping gear, they carried it themselves.

Two years later Reinhold became the only man in history to climb Mt Everest again, this time solo, although he did bivouac with other teams on the mountain. He has gone on to be the first person to climb all http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Eight-thousander" [Broken] he said after returning to base camp after the solo ascent and descent, I am paraphrasing because I have since given my copy away to others who wanted to learn of his achievements, that if he had to do it again he doesn't know if he would succeed because even with all of his ability, he found himself at his limit in his solo attempt.

I highly recommend the book, and for 16 $ and change used may buy a used copy to have and read again. The pictures even for the seventies are well done. I especially remember one where he is climbing a blank wall of ice, with cobalt blue sky above him, the ice beneath his feet was jet black, it struck me as the essence of discovering who and what you are. In another shot from above, he is seen putting his ice ax into a steep ascent probably on the order of 50+ degrees, the caption reads simply something to the affect, the will makes the mind an arrow.

I think for those of us born after 1980, many don't know of Reinhold Messner, a dreamer and gifted athlete, who shied away from the media spotlight, allowing only enough coverage to ensure funding for future climbs. I thought it fitting that he be recognized as one of the greatest examples of the true spirit of climbing, who has inspired many others and he has somehow stayed true to himself in the process. Here's to you Reinhold, you deserve it.

Video's for your review, enjoyment:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FNNn9U1vrfs&feature=related"

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QwTCDMirTjY&feature=related"

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7XQMRwAy0Y8&feature=related"

Rhody...

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
To respond to this nine year old thread I agree with the OP's assessment of Rheinhold Messner, though he is involved in many business ventures related to his exploits and even entered regional politics for a time as a Green Party member of the EU Parliment representing South Tyrol in Northern Italy.

I confess to not viewing the Youtube videos but have seen mountain climbing films such as "K2" many times for inspiration and have read many non-fiction books by and about Messner and other climbers. I understand Messner's adventures provided inspiration for the characters in "K2" though the story is loosely based on the accomplishments of American climbers Jim Wickwire and Louis Reichardt. The nearly poetic dialogue in "K2" as climbing partners played by Matt Craven and Michael Biehn descend from the summit owes much to translations of Messner's prose.

1. Who is Reinhold Messner and why is he considered a true legend?

Reinhold Messner is an Italian mountaineer and explorer who is widely regarded as one of the greatest climbers of all time. He is considered a true legend because of his numerous achievements in mountaineering, including being the first person to climb all 14 eight-thousanders (mountains over 8,000 meters) without supplemental oxygen.

2. What are some of Reinhold Messner's most notable accomplishments?

Aside from being the first person to climb all 14 eight-thousanders without supplemental oxygen, Messner has also completed solo ascents of Mount Everest, the world's highest mountain, and Mount Kilimanjaro, the highest mountain in Africa. He also made the first ascent of Mount Vinson, the highest peak in Antarctica, and has climbed all 82 4,000-meter peaks in the Alps.

3. How did Reinhold Messner become interested in mountaineering?

Messner grew up in a small village in northern Italy surrounded by mountains. He and his siblings would often go on hiking and climbing trips with their father, who was a passionate mountaineer. This sparked Messner's interest in mountaineering at a young age, and he went on to pursue it as a career.

4. What challenges did Reinhold Messner face during his mountaineering career?

Messner faced numerous challenges during his mountaineering career, including extreme weather conditions, technical difficulties, and physical and mental exhaustion. He also experienced tragedies, such as losing his brother on a climb and losing several toes due to frostbite.

5. How has Reinhold Messner's legacy influenced the world of mountaineering?

Messner's legacy has had a significant impact on the world of mountaineering. His accomplishments have inspired countless climbers to push their limits and strive for new heights. He also introduced new techniques and equipment to the sport, revolutionizing the way climbers approach challenging routes. Messner's passion and determination continue to inspire future generations of mountaineers.