And then you can use V=IR to solve for resistance.

• Thread starter Liquidxlax
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Shell
In summary, the electric field is not quite right and you are looking between the two spheres. For the voltage, on the other hand, you want to integrate over the whole field from a to b. You also realize that it should be R=\frac{1}{4\pi \epsilon_0} \left( \frac{1}{a} - \frac{1}{b} \right) right?
Liquidxlax

Homework Statement

Show that a conductive shell a<b has a resistance of

R= (a-1-b-1)/(4πσ)

Homework Equations

c4f04c7069b5e15119a233c0744766f1.png

J = σE I = JA = σEA

R=(Va-Vb)/I

The Attempt at a Solution

My problem is my algebra i think.

First i found the electric field

Qenc= ρV = (Qr3)/(b3-a3)

E= (4πkQenc)(4πr2) = (KQr)/(b3-a3)

solve for potential

(Va-Vb)= (kQ)/(2(a-b))

Next step is where i think i messed up

I=σEA = [(KQr)/(b3-a3)]σ(4πr2)

= (4πKQσr3)/(b3-a3)

I insert for r3 for (b3-a3)

and get 4πKQσ=I

then R= V/I

[(kq)/(2(a-b))]/(4πKQσ) = (a-1-b-1)/(8πσ)

which isn't right. thanks for the help, hope its not to messy

Physics news on Phys.org
The electric field is not quite right. You are looking between the two spheres. Since the gaussian sphere hasn't quite reached b yet, you are looking at the electric field produced by shell a. For the voltage, on the other hand, you want to integrate over the whole field from a to b.

Also that's a strange way to right the resistance. You realize it should be
[tex]R=\frac{1}{4\pi \epsilon_0} \left( \frac{1}{a} - \frac{1}{b} \right)[/tex]
right?

Mindscrape said:
The electric field is not quite right. You are looking between the two spheres. Since the gaussian sphere hasn't quite reached b yet, you are looking at the electric field produced by shell a. For the voltage, on the other hand, you want to integrate over the whole field from a to b.

Also that's a strange way to right the resistance. You realize it should be
[tex]R=\frac{1}{4\pi \epsilon_0} \left( \frac{1}{a} - \frac{1}{b} \right)[/tex]
right?

their not concentric, its a thick shelled sphere. I wrote it the way the textbook did pdf had to be in 2 files, its much cleaner

Attachments

• long ass equation.pdf
    58.1 KB · Views: 556
  • part 2.pdf
    49.2 KB · Views: 204
Last edited:
What do you mean they are not concentric? If they aren't concentric then good luck solving analytically. Also, what do you mean it is a thick shell? If it is a thick shell of a solid conductor then the electric field is zero and you don't have a resistance.

I think what you mean to say is, yes, they are concentric, and, there is a material between a and b with conductivity [itex]\sigma[/tex] which makes a "thick shell".

One huge problem in your first pdf (a^2-b^2)/(a^3-b^3)≠1/(a-b). The best you could do is (a+b)/(a+b)^2.

One of us has some major misconceptions about the problem. Let's see if we can clear that up first.

i pulled out my textbook and this is the question exactly

7-4.4 (a) Show that the resistance of a uniform spherical shell of radii a<b and conductivity sigma, for radial current flow, is
R= (a-1-b-1)/(4(pi)sigma), (b) show that, as b-a = d --> 0 and taking A 4pia2~4pib2, R reduces to

R= (rho(l))/A where rho is inverse sigma, A is cross sectional area and l is the length for a wire.

This question is kind of cruddy for an assignment question

Okay, I am pretty sure that my interpretation is correct because it gives the right answer. You have two shells, one with radius a that gives an electric field based on its charge, and another shell b that is concentric with shell a. Just give my way a try, and try to rework the problem with my previous suggestion.

To your credit, this is the type of problem that people usually see in an upper division course and never in a lower division course (granted it ought to be an easier problem for upper division).

Mindscrape said:
Okay, I am pretty sure that my interpretation is correct because it gives the right answer. You have two shells, one with radius a that gives an electric field based on its charge, and another shell b that is concentric with shell a. Just give my way a try, and try to rework the problem with my previous suggestion.

To your credit, this is the type of problem that people usually see in an upper division course and never in a lower division course (granted it ought to be an easier problem for upper division).

it is a very easy problem... yet the wording is throwing me for a loop

No problem, we all get tripped up now and again.

[tex]\mathbf{E}=\frac{1}{4 \pi \epislon_0} \frac{Q}{r^2} \matbf{\hat{r}}[/tex]
for b>r>a

So, now voltage...

[tex]V = -\int \mathbf{E} \cdot dl =...[/tex]

1. What is the definition of resistance of conductive shell?

The resistance of conductive shell refers to the measure of the opposition to the flow of electrical current through a conductive material. It is measured in ohms and is influenced by factors such as the material's composition, size, and temperature.

2. How does the resistance of conductive shell affect electrical circuits?

The resistance of conductive shell plays a crucial role in determining the flow of electrical current in a circuit. Higher resistance can restrict the flow of current, while lower resistance allows for a larger current flow. This can impact the efficiency and functionality of the circuit.

3. What factors can affect the resistance of conductive shell?

The resistance of conductive shell can be influenced by several factors, including the material's composition, temperature, length, and cross-sectional area. Other factors such as impurities and defects in the material can also affect its resistance.

4. How can the resistance of conductive shell be measured?

The resistance of conductive shell can be measured using an ohmmeter or multimeter. These devices send a small amount of current through the material and measure the voltage drop across it. The resistance can then be calculated using Ohm's law, which states that resistance is equal to voltage divided by current.

5. How can the resistance of conductive shell be reduced?

The resistance of conductive shell can be reduced by using materials with lower resistivity, increasing the cross-sectional area of the material, and minimizing the length of the material. Additionally, keeping the material at a lower temperature can also help reduce its resistance.