Rejected by fate? or something.

• Thread starter dtl42
  • Start date
In summary, the conversation revolves around the topic of applying to a prestigious prep school in New England. The person had submitted their application on time, but due to a mix-up with their English teacher's recommendation, their application was not considered. There are differing opinions on the importance of attending a prep school and some suggest focusing on getting good grades and getting into college. One person shares their own experience with being rejected from multiple prep schools and how they have found success with homeschooling. Overall, it is recommended to take initiative and control of one's education rather than relying on others.
dtl42
I am a 10th grader in high school and I applied to a prestigious prep school in New England this spring. They were accepting late applications and would then place students on a waiting list. The only way off was attrition, for which they expected at least a few spots to open. The said they would begin reviewing applications on May 1st. I visited and interviewed on the 24th of April, and mailed in my application soon thereafter. Both necessary teachers sent their respective recommendations, and I assumed my application was complete. My mother called, a first time, and left a message saying "If any part of the application is incomplete, please call us back". We waited about 3 weeks, and got no response. We called again last week and got another machine, and left a similar message. Then we called yesterday, and finally got through to someone, who informed us "Your application was not considered because all parts were not in on time, specifically your English teacher recommendation.". We immediately contacted both teachers and confirmed they had sent their parts in, which they had. But the school says they have no more space on their wait-list anyway, and will not review my application even though my teacher faxed, yet another copy, of the recommendation last night. I kind of feel powerless because either USPS messed up, or the filing system at this prep school is severely disorganized. I just wanted some input about anything I could do, or suggestions for the future, in terms of schooling.

I was thinking that I could continue at my school now for 11th grade, then apply again to the prep school next year, but to repeat the 11th grade. This would delay my graduating one year, but also give me countless more opportunities in academics and athletics.

Any input at all would be great. Thanks.

Physics news on Phys.org
I think you're crazy for even considering it. Just finish high school like a normal person and apply to college already.

Asphodel said:
I think you're crazy for even considering it. Just finish high school like a normal person and apply to college already.

Very true. It's the results that count for admission, not the high school you went... Besides, repeating a year just to get into a prestigious school is just silly and certainly will give you a bad impression during your interviews...
Furthermore, some people say that it's not so important at what university you're doing your undergraduate as long as you get into a good grad school. So you can imagine how important high school is on your CV.

Asphodel said:

yoran said:
Very true. It's the results that count for admission, not the high school you went... Besides, repeating a year just to get into a prestigious school is just silly and certainly will give you a bad impression during your interviews...
Furthermore, some people say that it's not so important at what university you're doing your undergraduate as long as you get into a good grad school. So you can imagine how important high school is on your CV.

Yes. Unless the school your at is plagued with rats, gun violence, etc., don't leave. It won't make much of a difference in the end. Focus on keeping good grades at your current school and getting into college.

Yes, all those elites are wasting their money sending their kids to Exeter. Or maybe it works.

dtl42 said:
I just wanted some input about anything I could do, or suggestions for the future, in terms of schooling.

First I agree that going to a prep school is probably not very important in the first place and re-taking a year to do it at a "better" school is a bad idea.

As for future advise I would recommend not having your mother do things for you. Big mistake IMO. Take the initiative and show them you have the willpower, determination, want this for yourself, and are not just another well to do kid with parents leading them along. Mabey you will make an impression on someone, and if not you are at least preparing yourself for the world outside of high school.

This just sounds like a frustrating situation. You did what was expected, but for reasons out of your control you were denied equal consideration among the applicant pool. It does sound a little like things were left to the last minute though - ie. you decided to apply at the end of April for something that had a deadline of May 1st, if I understand. I'm not sure if that was a contributing factor, but had you applied for this in January, it seems as if there could have been some room for these kinds of issues.

As with the other posters, I agree that postponing yourself in high school is not a good option. Have you considered other private schools that may have later application deadlines?

Why prep school in the first place? I was rejected from Exeter, Andover, and Hotchkiss last year as a 9th grader. I had excellent stats and essays, and I was a math nerd. People thought I would be a shoe-in.

By the way, something similar happened to me with Deerfield -- I told my counselor to send my transcript several times. I actually told her in November, and went to her office several times a week. She forgot to do it until February -- and when she did, she sent in the wrong one. Deerfield couldn't consider my application.

I forgot about the ordeal and dropped out of public school. I've been home schooling myself for the past year and I've been able to accomplish more alone than I ever would have at the aforementioned schools. If you really want a good education, you'll have to take things into your own hands (homeschooling is one such example).

The reputation of your school has a real impact on admissions. I have personal experience with this for both colleges and grad programs. It's not fair, but it is what it is.

A lot of people from regular high schools get excepted to ivy league schools, and other prestigious institutions every year -- I wouldn't worry about it, it's not the end of the world.

What does "rejected by fate" mean?

"Rejected by fate" refers to the belief that a person's destiny or life path has been altered in a negative way, often beyond their control. It can also imply a feeling of being unwanted or not chosen by a higher power or force.

Is "rejected by fate" a scientific concept?

No, "rejected by fate" is not a scientific concept. It is a philosophical or spiritual belief that is not supported by empirical evidence or scientific research.

What are some examples of being "rejected by fate"?

Examples of being "rejected by fate" include losing a job opportunity, being diagnosed with a chronic illness, experiencing a major setback or failure, or experiencing a series of unfortunate events. These events are often seen as beyond the individual's control and have a significant impact on their life path.

Can being "rejected by fate" be prevented?

There is no scientific evidence to suggest that being "rejected by fate" can be prevented. However, individuals can take steps to improve their chances of success and resilience in the face of adversity. This can include setting realistic goals, developing coping strategies, and seeking support from others.

How can someone cope with feeling "rejected by fate"?

Coping with feeling "rejected by fate" can be a challenging and personal process. Some strategies that may help include practicing self-care, seeking support from loved ones or a therapist, reframing the situation in a more positive or empowering light, and focusing on things within one's control. It is also important to acknowledge and process one's emotions and give oneself time to heal and move forward.