How Much Energy Is Released from Helium Fusion in Old Stars?

• Thread starter eri3an
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Reaction
In summary, the energy from 1 kg of helium is 0.00195m= 0.00065 kg times c squared where c is the speed of light.
eri3an
Old stars gets there energy from the fusion of 3 helium cores to one carbon-12 core. The resting mass of one carbon-12 is 2,99805 times bigger then the helium core. How much energy do you i from 1kg of helium? how do I even attack this problem?

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
eri3an said:
Old stars gets there energy from the fusion of 3 helium cores to one carbon-12 core. The resting mass of one carbon-12 is 2,99805 times bigger then the helium core. How much energy do you i from 1kg of helium? how do I even attack this problem?

Let m be the rest mass of one helium core. Then three helium cores have mass 3m but the resulting carbon-12 core has mass only 2.99805m. Energy has been released equivalent to (3- 2.99805)m= 0.00195m. Since that is for 3 helium cores, with 1 kg of helium, you can take the total m= 1/3 kg. Now use E= mc2.

What is the definition of "Relativistic reaction"?

A relativistic reaction is a physical phenomenon that occurs when objects are moving at speeds close to the speed of light. It involves the conversion of mass into energy and is governed by Einstein's theory of relativity.

What are some examples of "Relativistic reaction"?

Some examples of relativistic reactions include nuclear reactions, particle accelerations, and the emission of electromagnetic radiation from charged particles moving at high speeds.

How does "Relativistic reaction" impact our daily lives?

Although relativistic reactions may seem to only occur in extreme circumstances, they actually play a crucial role in our daily lives. For example, without the understanding of relativistic reactions, technologies such as GPS and medical imaging would not be possible.

What are the consequences of not considering "Relativistic reaction" in scientific research?

If relativistic reactions are not taken into account in scientific research, it can lead to incorrect conclusions and predictions. This could have significant consequences in fields such as astrophysics and particle physics, where relativistic speeds are often involved.

What are some ongoing research areas related to "Relativistic reaction"?

Scientists are constantly studying relativistic reactions in various fields, including nuclear physics, astrophysics, and particle physics. Some current research areas include the study of dark matter and dark energy, which are thought to involve relativistic reactions, and the development of more accurate models for nuclear reactions.