Solving Relatavistic Decay Homework

• Thread starter wooburger
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Decay
In summary: E_{kin}}{\gamma c^2} \\\end{align*}Plugging in the values given in the problem and simplifying, we get the answer of $m_u = \frac{(m_{\pi}^{2} + m_{u}^{2})}{2m_{\pi}}$. In summary, the correct expression for the mass of the particle after the decay is given by $m_u = \frac{(m_{\pi}^{2} + m_{u}^{2})}{2m_{\pi}}$.
wooburger

Homework Statement

http://i45.tinypic.com/2it0cpy.jpg

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

momentum before is gamma*pionmass*0.93c
momentum after is gamma(u)*mass(u)*velocity(u) - E/c where E=pc which is the energy of massless particles

energy before is gamma*pionmass*c*c
energy after is gamma*mass(u)*c*c + pc

just wondering if what I've done above is correct as I've tried to do it that way and i get a really ridiculous answer. Any help is appreciated

btw the answer is (masspion)^2 + (mass(u)^2)/ 2(masspion).. anyone know how they got to that, its 110 MeV, after some extreme calculation i got 103.75 MeV but i don't know how they got it simply by doing a simple calculation as above

Physics news on Phys.org
The "really ridiculous answer" is probably due to the fact that you are adding your energies in terms of $c^2$, i.e. $E = mc^2$. This is incorrect; the energy $E$ should be the total energy of the particle, which is the rest mass energy plus the kinetic energy. The momentum $p$ is related to the kinetic energy by $E_{kin} = pc$.For this problem, the initial energy is $E_{i} = \gamma m_{\pi} c^2$, where $\gamma$ is the Lorentz factor for the pion's initial velocity. The momentum of the pion is $\vec{p} = \gamma m_{\pi} \vec{v}_{\pi,i}$. The final energy and momentum are given by\begin{align*}E_{f} &= \gamma m_{u} c^2 + pc \;\;\; (\text{where } c = \text{speed of light}) \\\vec{p}_{f} &= \gamma m_{u} \vec{v}_{u,f} - \frac{E_{kin}}{c} \;\;\; (\text{where } E_{kin} = pc)\end{align*}where $m_u$ is the mass of the particle after the decay and $\vec{v}_{u,f}$ is its final velocity. Note that $E_{kin}$ is the kinetic energy of the particle after the decay, not the initial kinetic energy of the pion.Now we can use the conservation of energy and momentum to solve for $m_u$. We have\begin{align*}E_{i} &= E_{f} \\\vec{p}_{i} &= \vec{p}_{f}\end{align*}Solving for $m_u$, we get\begin{align*}m_u &= \frac{E_{i}}{\gamma c^2} - \frac{\vec{p}_{i}\cdot\vec{v}_{u,f}}{\gamma

I would first suggest double checking your calculations to ensure accuracy. It is also important to make sure that you are using the correct equations and units for the problem.

Without seeing your specific calculations, it is difficult to determine where you may have gone wrong. However, the answer provided in the problem is likely correct, as it is a standard result in particle physics. It is possible that you may have missed a step or made a calculation error.

In terms of the approach to solving the problem, it is important to consider the conservation of momentum and energy in the decay process. This means that the total momentum and energy before the decay must equal the total momentum and energy after the decay.

In this case, the initial momentum and energy are given by the pion mass and the final momentum and energy are given by the mass and velocity of the decay products. By setting these equal to each other and solving for the unknown mass, the result provided in the problem can be obtained.

I would suggest reviewing your calculations and possibly seeking assistance from a classmate or instructor if you are still having trouble. It is also important to understand the underlying concepts and equations used in solving the problem, rather than just trying to replicate a specific calculation.

1. What is relativistic decay?

Relativistic decay is a phenomenon in which particles that are moving close to the speed of light experience a decrease in their energy and momentum over time.

2. Why is it important to solve problems related to relativistic decay?

Solving problems related to relativistic decay allows us to better understand the behavior of particles at high speeds, which is crucial in fields such as particle physics and astrophysics.

3. What is the formula for calculating relativistic decay?

The formula for relativistic decay is ΔE = m0c^2(1/√(1-v^2/c^2)-1), where ΔE is the change in energy, m0 is the rest mass of the particle, c is the speed of light, and v is the velocity of the particle.

4. How do we apply relativistic decay to real-world scenarios?

Relativistic decay can be applied to various real-world scenarios, such as determining the half-life of radioactive particles and understanding the behavior of particles in particle accelerators.

5. What are some common challenges when solving problems related to relativistic decay?

Some common challenges when solving problems related to relativistic decay include understanding the concept of velocity approaching the speed of light, converting units of measurement, and correctly applying the formula for relativistic decay.