1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Related rate problem

1. Nov 2, 2012 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    For a related rate problem I am only given the two rates say dx/dt=1 and dy/dt=2 and a the function which depends on both x and y say f(x,y)=4xy^2 find how it is changing at T=3

2. Relevant equations
    Chain rule

3. The attempt at a solution

So I can take both partial derivatives with respect to the chain rule and sub in 1 and 2 for the dx/dt and dy/dt respectively I just have no idea how T comes into play and what to sub in for x and y. My thoughts are that possibly since dx/dt=1 and dy/dt=2 then y=2x and I can isolate for the one variable but then I still dont know what to do form there.

2. jcsd
  3. Nov 2, 2012 #2
    Those two tell you quite a bit about x and y as functions of time :)

4. Nov 2, 2012 #3
    A bit more of a pointer would be much appreciated.

5. Nov 2, 2012 #4

HallsofIvy

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

The chain rule says that
    [tex]\frac{df}{dt}= \frac{\partial f}{\partial x}\frac{dx}{dt}+ \frac{\partial f}{\partial y}\frac{dy}{dt}[/tex]

If [itex]f(x,y)= 4xy^2[/tex], what are [itex]\partial f/\partial x[/itex] and [itex]\partial f/\partial y[/tex]?

Now, if you are only told dx/dt= 1 and dy/dt= 2, then you do NOT have enough information to determine what x and y are at t= 3 and so could NOT evaluate the partial derivatives at t= 3.

If you have a particular problem in mind then please tell us the exact statement of the problem.

6. Nov 2, 2012 #5

It states a cone grows in height starting from zero height dy/dt = 1 radius dx/dt = 2 how fast is the volume growing at t=3

7. Nov 2, 2012 #6
    You need to find df/dt at t=3, so the first step is to perform the differentiation, as stated above. You'll find the result has x and y in it and to find a value for df/dt at a specific time, you will need to know x and y as functions of time.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook